What is a fair amount to charge for pullets for sale?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by moonflowerfarms, Feb 19, 2014.

1. moonflowerfarms

moonflowerfarms Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2012
    Golden, CO
    I am getting 19 chicks in a few weeks. I'm getting really excited. 3 are for us to keep, 5 are for our neighbor, and then we're going to sell the rest. I already have several people who are on my list to buy. I am going to raise them until they are ready to go outside. I have the space and time to do it, and I enjoy it. My husband and I were trying to figure out how much was fair to charge for them. I was thinking that if someone wanted to take the chicks before 4 weeks, we would charge the cost of the chick +$5. Between 4 and 12 weeks, cost +10. And 12 weeks on, cost +$15. When I broke out the cost of the food, the shipping, and we built a plywood brooder that we can break down to store flat during the rest of the year (my plan is to do this every year), that seemed to cover everything, with a little left over.

We live in the Denver metro. Does anyone have any thoughts if that is too much or not enough? We have a mix of RIR, barred rock, golden polish, blue cochin, buff brahama, white leghorn, cuckoo marans (only 2, and they are claimed), and black astrolorp. So I thought that we would reflect the difference in price by adding the amount on top of the base cost. Thanks!

2. acsteele

acsteele Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2013
    South Central Kansas
    Since you are the one taking the risk of losses during shipment as well as potential "failure to thrive" with young chicks, I personally think that's a very fair pricing arrangement.

3. Klutch

Klutch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2014
    West Sacramento
    I just checked your craigslist, your prices fall right in the middle.

4. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    I sell my 2 month old pullets for $10 and roosters for $5. But I hatch most of my own chicks with eggs from my hens. I rarely get to keep pullets past 2 months old because they sell so fast. I live in Wyoming.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by