What is a FAIR price for an EE young Laying hen?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by cheeptrick, Oct 15, 2007.

1. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I was just wondering because I placed on craigslist and was wondering if $8 a bird is appropriate. I charged $3 a bird in July and they went like HOTCAKES...thought that because they were laying and extremely healthy that I could get more for my FEED!

What say you all? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    $8 is a deal. I usually charge about 10-15 for well started pullets...more towards $15 if they are already laying.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, day old chicks go for 3 here. I sell layers 10-15 depending on age.

4. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    I never get 10-15$ for a started hen the BEST I can get around here is 7$ and below. Or give them away.

Arklady

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Look at the local demographics of your area and that should help out on the pricing. Economy and demand are different from city to city. If I ever move away from the big cities, I doubt I'll be able to sell any birds or eggs for what I can charge now for them.

6. bjcoop

bjcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2007
    Western New York
    I agree, I think it depends on supply and demand. [​IMG] We have a weekly farm auction in town, and this summer I got 12 per bird. A month ago (when lots of chickens were in the barns) I got 5 for some nice EEs.

bjcoop

7. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    I got $8.00 for point of lay sex links. I'm sure they would have paid $10.00

8. NS2A

NS2A Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2007
    Minnesota
    At an animal swap in September, laying hens were going around $5 each.

Before I had chickens, I'd buy eggs from my neighbor, who sells his eggs for for $1 a dozen. I joked he must loose a dollar every time he makes a sale. He said "Oh, it's not that bad. More like 50 cents." [​IMG]

So, you may be ahead giving them away or selling them cheap enough to make sure you sell them depending on feed and wintering costs, or if you can't sell your extra eggs.

9. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    here in houston, i sell my laying ameraucana/ee's on craiglist for $11 or $12. $10 for 4 month olds.

10. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Thank you all...I sold 7 of the 8 and was recommended to not rehome 1 chicken alone...not good for pecking order.

I've 'recooped' my investment in the whole flock...cost me $60 for 26 day old chicks!
    thanks for all the responses!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by