What is a FAIR price for an EE young Laying hen?

cheeptrick

Songster
12 Years
May 1, 2007
New Hampshire
I was just wondering because I placed on craigslist and was wondering if $8 a bird is appropriate. I charged $3 a bird in July and they went like HOTCAKES...thought that because they were laying and extremely healthy that I could get more for my FEED!

What say you all?
hu.gif
bun.gif
hu.gif
bun.gif

I never get 10-15$ for a started hen the BEST I can get around here is 7$ and below. Or give them away.

Arklady

Look at the local demographics of your area and that should help out on the pricing. Economy and demand are different from city to city. If I ever move away from the big cities, I doubt I'll be able to sell any birds or eggs for what I can charge now for them.

I agree, I think it depends on supply and demand.
yippiechickie.gif
We have a weekly farm auction in town, and this summer I got 12 per bird. A month ago (when lots of chickens were in the barns) I got 5 for some nice EEs.

bjcoop

At an animal swap in September, laying hens were going around $5 each.

Before I had chickens, I'd buy eggs from my neighbor, who sells his eggs for for $1 a dozen. I joked he must loose a dollar every time he makes a sale. He said "Oh, it's not that bad. More like 50 cents."
big_smile.png

So, you may be ahead giving them away or selling them cheap enough to make sure you sell them depending on feed and wintering costs, or if you can't sell your extra eggs.

Thank you all...I sold 7 of the 8 and was recommended to not rehome 1 chicken alone...not good for pecking order.

I've 'recooped' my investment in the whole flock...cost me $60 for 26 day old chicks!
thanks for all the responses!
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom