What is a "farm"

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by culdesacfarm, Aug 12, 2013.

1. culdesacfarm

culdesacfarm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    Hello! I am new to BYC and love this place! I have a geriatric coope - 2 mixed hens, 2 brown wyandotte hens, 2 broad rock hens (1 still lays) and a broad rock Roo. I love my chickens and dont mind that they dont lays. With 3 acres its nice to have the bug eaters. I also have 5 chicks they are 5 weeks old they are silkie and d'uccle mixes. I hope when they get bigger they well lay and I can enjoy as many fresh eggs as I want! This is my first "batch" of young chicks, and Roo. My husband started us out with all hens and after a few years (5+) I wanted a Rooster and for nature to take place (BABIES!!!) So this is new to both of us, I got the chicks at 4 weeks old so we dont not need heat lamps right now. But I cant wait to get my hands in the "process"

So back to the thread title... What is a Farm?
    I have a few =) chickens, a pot belly pig and a garden all on 3 acres. Everyone that knows about me says I live on a farm, but everyone that come to my house says its just country. Thats how cul-de-sac farm came about. I live in a cul-de-sac, off a paved road, with pets not "market" animals. So what does "farm" mean to you?

2. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Welcome to the site culdesacfarm! [​IMG]

3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! The purpose of a farm is raising plants/animals for consumption or other uses. So I think it's safe to call your property a farm :)

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, culdesacfarm, and [​IMG]! Pleased to have you with us!! To me a farm is where I can raise some of my own food via my garden, fruit trees, and animals. By no means to the point of self-sufficiency in the advent of the zombie apocalypse...but I'm getting there!

6. cookfamilyfarm

cookfamilyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2013
    Missouri
    I like liz and redsoxs answers. Hi from Missouri.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I think a farm is a place where you have a variety of farm-type animals- they can be big or small

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by