what is a friendly rooster?

ARose4Heaven

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Flippin, AR
I am preparing to order some chicks..They will be mostly in coop and run because of predators. I am getting mostly Polish and other gentle breeds that do well when confined. I would like a roo to warn the girls of danger. What breed of roo is the nicest to his girls, and his keeper? I am getting these for pets that will be loved on a lot. I do have an older pheonix and a RIR Roo that free range my woods. both uncatchable, so not gonna be with my new girls.

Last edited:
Rather than a specific breed, it depends solely on the individual. :) Both bad apples and gems will be discovered within any variety suggested, which makes pinpointing something consistently "friendly" all the more difficult.

On that note, I've had the best experiences with Old English Game bantams. Overall, they're wonderfully affectionate birds who treat their hens like queens, and solicit hugs from human handlers.

I'm also absolutely in love with my Wheaten Ameraucana bantam, and Easter Egger bantam men. Quite personable. Considering I've only raised one each, however, it's up for debate whether the breeds themselves are responsible....or simply natural/genetic dispositions.

~Alex

I have heard and read a lot about lavender orpingtons being gentle giants. For me that is wrong. I have 4 roosters and my lav orp is the only one that tries to attack. The other three have never. He escaped his pen once and he spotted me from over 100 yards away and took off running towards me all flared up! I had a rake and I one the battle by shielding by legs from him until he was done.

I have heard and read a lot about lavender orpingtons being gentle giants. For me that is wrong. I have 4 roosters and my lav orp is the only one that tries to attack. The other three have never. He escaped his pen once and he spotted me from over 100 yards away and took off running towards me all flared up! I had a rake and I one the battle by shielding by legs from him until he was done.
My Lav Orp was a jerk, too.

~Alex

Has anyone experience with Cochins or Brahmas?
Nearly all Cochins I've encountered have been the devil incarnate. Not just my own, either. Don't let those fluffy little chunks deceive you! ;)

That said, I'm sure there are nice instances out there, just never met one. :)

My only Buff Brahma became highly human aggressive.

~Alex

Back
Top Bottom