1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what is a frost grey chicken

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cassey40, Jul 29, 2009.

1. cassey40

cassey40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    beaufort, sc
    I found someone that has frost greys but i would like to know what they look like, any one have pics.

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Wouldn't they look like a light blue? I have several shades of blue in my flock- and I guess you could call the palest ones frost grey.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  4. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    like Chris said, its a bloodline of American Game. They're either silver duckwing or silver wheaton.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:As in both are considered Frost Gray or as in it is one or the other. I would think the cocks would look the same, regardless, but not the hens. The hen on the site listed seems to be silver wheaten.

6. Vcomb

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    yep the hen on the webpage is a silver wheaton, but i think some flocks of them have silver duckwing hens as well. you're correct in that the males will look the same regardless.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
  8. Vcomb

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    could be Chris, the Frosts aren't my specialty. However it may be that the "small stuff" varies from one guys farm to another. To give an example using something I know about - Morgan Whitehackles. I've seen solid white, mostly white, spangled, red, and pumpkin orange morgans. hens either white, pumpkin, wheaton, clay, or b.b. red, both spangled and non. red earlobes, white earlobes, yellow legs or white legs. it all depends on who breeds them, if they added anything, if their rootstock came from the oddball colored ones on another guy's yard, etc. [​IMG][​IMG]

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    V;
    I know.. lol Just like breeders/farms put there name on there birds ( Law Gray, Red Fox Gray Sweeter Gray,)
    Basically the same bird BUT different breeding's.
    You got to love a good Morgan.
    Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by