What is a full crop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by californiachick74, Apr 15, 2008.

1. californiachick74

californiachick74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern California
    Can anyone explain to me what the term full crop means? Thx!

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I don't know either, I'm hoping someone tells you soon so I'll learn too!
    Kate

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    The crop is part of the diguestive tract of a chicken, when it is full you will see a large lump just off to the chickens right side breast.

4. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Is it extremely visible? If a chicken has a lot of feathers or is a Silkie breed how would you see it? Is it dangerous?

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

A full crop is just that. A chicken's crop which is full of food or stuff they ingested. It is on the front of the bird and nothing is wrong with it as long as it emptys out by morning. Think of it like a storage place for goods till the rest of the digestive tract empties to make room for it go pass though and get digested.

[​IMG]

This one is cute, even has feed in it!
    [​IMG]
    It is on the front of a bird and can easily be the size of a baseball when full... or softball if impacted and stretched out. When empty you can only feel the "wishbone" or clavicle of the bird in front of the keel and no ball of food.

6. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    And will I be printing that at school tomorrow?? Yes I will! Thank you so much! And thanks to CaliforniaChick for asking the question I had too!

7. californiachick74

californiachick74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern California
    Thank you! I removed her food for the night and gave her only water. I also put a towel down under her because she has started to eat the pine shavings. Does anyone have any idea why she would do this? This morning when I got up to go check on her and feed her I noticed the cyst or lump is almost gone. Very small now and gushy. So it was her crop. Thanks!

8. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Yep, it's a little like the pouches in a hamster's cheeks that they stuff full with food. Kinda still shocks me when Miss Chook stuffs that thing to the size AND FIRMNESS of a handball!!!!

9. buttercuplover

buttercuplover New Egg

Jun 30, 2010
    Yes my chickens have full crops too, is that a bad thing?

10. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    The crop should be empty in the morning (provided they your chickens do not have access to food overnight). Once they have demolished half the contents of the grain feeder, the effects are obvious in the crop being swollen with food (this is normal).

My chickens free range so have full crops all day, but, provided they are healthy, the crop is not palpable or visible the following morning,

sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by