What is a good bedtime?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Morgan7782, May 24, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I have two 7 week old chicks out in the coop/run right now. It's about 8:20pm here, and around 72-74 degrees. I am keeping the chicks outside until it gets to about 55/60 degrees, or too dark for me to gather them up to bring them inside. The temps here still get to around 46 at night for the lows, so I am waiting until Wednesday to put them out full time. My question:

What is a good time to lock them in the coop for 'bed'? It's just now starting to get dark outside. Thanks for any help

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

They will put themselves to bed. Sometimes right on time, sometimes a bit later when the night is cool and the bugs are abundant.

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    LoL alright, so when they are staying in the coop is a good time for me to shut the door? I have a shut/locking door on the coop, and wasn't sure when a good time was to lock them up for night time.

4. debilorrah

Do you have a roo or a dominate hen? Once the leader herds them all in, he/she will be the last one in. Otherwise, you will hear a bunch of hollering from the roo/dominate hen to GET IN HERE! Then you can close them up.

5. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I lock them up when the last one makes it's way inside. There is usually still a little light out so I can se them. But I always take a flash light and do a head count. The one time some one didnt do a head count when they locked up the birds I found my daughters favorite bird dead in the morning, killed by our former dog.

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I only have two pullets, and the BR is the leader of the two. I just went out to put them in the coop because it got dark real quickly, and I get worried when they blend into the darkness lol. They are throwing a fit right now, but after a few minutes they have calmed down.

7. debilorrah

Quote:HAHAHA!!! Ok note the time tonight, and tomorrow go out 15 minutes later. I assure you they will put themselves to bed when they are ready.

8. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I will do that [​IMG] I have another question. How do I know when they can stay out all night? Tonight is warm, and calm, but I have NO clue what the temp will be at around 2 or 3am.

9. debilorrah

Once fully feathered they can do what they want, but chickens are birds of habit. They will go in the coop at darkness no matter what. I have a few rogue birds that like to test the limits, but when they see me with a flashlight, they run in the house.

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  10. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    If you have trouble getting them into the coop at night, turn a light on in the coop about an hour before dark. This will lure them in. When they are all in, close the door. Then turn off the light. after about a week of this you should not need the light any longer. This is how I trained my birds last year. It worked great. I am not having a training issue with the new birds this year because I am leaving the light on all night for them. They range in age 5 - 8 weeks. They have only been had access to the run a couple of days now and many of them are still afraid to leave the coop. There were 13 out this evening, a significant improvement from the 5 or 6 yesterday. Hopefully the others will venture out in another day or two.

Note - the two flocks have separate coops and runs (for now).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by