1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is a good brand of live trap.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by briana1975, May 18, 2009.

1. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    The chickens are outside now and we know it will only be a matter of time before the predators shows up. We just saw a coon the other night when we came home headed into our big barn. Maybe only a half acre away from where we keep the coop. So we need a good live trap. A large STRONG one. We have some of the ones TSC sells and have terrible luck with the coons getting back out. Or the coons going in and never setting it off. We want one that will close fast and keep them in.

2. peckndirt

peckndirt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    Hav-a-hart makes good ones. tie the bait to the trigger . use a can of sardines.

3. Mrs. Glassman

Mrs. Glassman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Cedartown, Georgia
    I also use Hav-a-hart traps. I've never had a coon problem, but have gotten many opposums, and one black bird. They close pretty fast, just make sure it's big enough, or it won't close enough to latch correctly. Also, those drating raccons tend to be in group....I bet one holds the door up while the other steals the food! [​IMG]

4. briana1975

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Mrs. Glassman :

I also use Hav-a-hart traps. I've never had a coon problem, but have gotten many opposums, and one black bird. They close pretty fast, just make sure it's big enough, or it won't close enough to latch correctly. Also, those drating raccons tend to be in group....I bet one holds the door up while the other steals the food! [​IMG]

That is funny but I think it's true.​

5. will hunt for food

will hunt for food Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    This is my opinion. Havaheart traps are just OK. They are heavily marketed, and thus well known. They can be found in most hardware stores. They are built for the occasional backyard use. Just curious if the folks that recommended them have ever heard of the other brands below?

Better quality traps include Safeguard (professional series), Tomahawk and Wickencamp. Prices are almost the same as Havaheart. Go online to find these brands. Chances are the local hardware store may not carry them.

Stay away from the cheap traps you can get at Tractor Supply, and similar stores (ESPECIALLY those not made in the USA). You want to catch what you are after the FIRST time. It does not take long for a critter to become trap shy if it is not caught with the first attempt.

When it comes to live traps, you can't use a trap that is too large, but you can use a trap that is too small. Keep that in mind.

Be proactive. Do not wait for something to happen before setting out traps. Keep them out tghere, and remove potential problems. Doing this also supplies useful information as to what is roaming after hours. You may be surprised.

Good luck. [​IMG]

6. briana1975

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Quote:This is what I was looking for. I know we need a big trap. The coons around here are well fed. But the traps at the store are very cheesy. My FIL has some but they almost never get anything. We will be getting a trap ASAP and hopfully getting rid of any potential problems.

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Im a Hav A Hart man, myself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by