what is a good breed for hot summers that is least likely to fly?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by zephyr66, May 17, 2010.

1. zephyr66

zephyr66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Ramona, CA
    hello,

i live in the high desert of california where humidity is very low but summer temps can reach about 112 degrees and winters are chilly with maybe a dusting of snow on a rare occasion. the coop is 6x10 and i want to have a good sized run as i want the closest thing to free range but they can't roam due to dogs, etc. what are suggestions for a good breed that will tolerate the heat well but will be least likely to fly over the 5' fence i'm going to have around the run? it's too big to screen in overhead so that is not an option. any suggestions would be appreciated! i've looked around on the forum but haven't seen my particular concerns addressed, so forgive me if i overlooked a thread already posted.

thanks!

sylvia [​IMG]

2. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Leghorns, Delawares, there are several breeds that are listed here http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html I live in a very hot climate and I have have Black Australorps, RIR, Easter eggers, sexlinks, GLWyandottes, they all do fine with plenty of shade and cool treats in the summer (I also run misters when the heat is at it's hottest). I would highly recommend having a shade cloth over the top in smaller areas and have plenty of duck and cover areas for them to avoid getting taken by hawk, owls if covering the entire pen is not an option.
    *eta you can always clip wings but for the most part mine never leave the yard.

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  3. zephyr66

zephyr66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Ramona, CA
    thank you... yes, forgot to mention i will build lots of shade shelters and a small shade tree or two. the open area isn't huge - probably about 30' x 30' but that ought to keep them happy. i'm hoping. appreciate the info.

sylvia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by