what is a good hatchery to order from?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by ilovemydog, Aug 17, 2011.

1. ilovemydog

ilovemydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I'm looking for a very few minimum chick purchase and low shipping rates what are some good hatcheries?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  2. Savannah Poultry

Savannah Poultry The Source

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    I think my pet chicken is the only one that sells low minimums. But they charge an extra fee

3. KBUGS

KBUGS Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    NC
    Ideal Hatchery has a min. order of 25.00. Many seem to be happy with their chickens from there.

4. thechickeneer97

thechickeneer97 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Florence
    i know my pet chicken has a small order limit, but if you want to get around 25 cackle hatchery is fairly cheap on price they have a website: www.cacklehatchery.com

5. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Get them from meyer hatchery, mpc gets their birds from meyer so your just paying morr,ordering from mpc. And meyers limit is also three

6. ilovemydog

ilovemydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    How much is meyers shipping? thats the thing that bugs me. is like 30 dollars in shipping.

7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I also buy from Meyer, but I live close enough to drive there. They are really nice people, and I've been lucky--they've never been wrong on the sex!

8. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

I ordered from Efowl. Their minimum is 15 but they throw in an extra one or two just in case. I think they have a pretty low price.

9. chickenlady4321

chickenlady4321 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    I also suggest Ideal because of there wide variety. Though you wont be getting perfect quality, not APA show quality. You can kinda expect that from most hatcheries. One I would NOT order from is sandhill....they are FULL of problems. There birds come sickly and the people are rude, rude, rude.

10. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If you want small numbers, try looking on Craigslist for someone with locally raised chicks.

No matter how many you buy, the hatchery has to buy the expensive shipping box and shipping mat. For small numbers, they might include a heat pack. They still have to pay someone to pack your order and drive it to the post office and pay the postage for the whole box.

If you get a lot of chicks, the price gets spread out over a lot of chicks. If you buy 2 chicks, then the whole shipping cost is only shared by 2 chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by