1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is a good incubator for a first timer

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Berynn, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    I am planning on haching some baby chicks, What is a good incubator that I should get?

2. GloriaH

GloriaH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    I just got a Genesis by Hova-Bator. It comes with a preset didgital thermostat. I love it. It even tells you not to bother putting a thermometer in it because the thermometer will be off. The thermostat is more reliable. Also, I would get an automatic egg turner it takes alot of the work out of hatching. I wish I would have had this set up 2 years ago when I first started hatching.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

yep.....get the hovabator 1588 (the genesis). Cutlers Supply sells it with a turner for about $140.

4. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    That's the one I am getting. I have heard a lot of people on here say good things about it and with the two hatching disasters I have had I need a real "moron" proof incubator. LOL The less stuff I can mess up the better. I can't wait to get it and hopefully then I will be able to hatch something..anything LOL

5. fdnick

fdnick Master Chicken Hoarder

Aug 22, 2007
    Spokane, Wa.
    We swear by my sportsman 1502,, we have GREAT hatch rates with it, it holds 180 chicken eggs and it has the brooder in the bottom [​IMG].. we have the clear door and the bucket that sits on top for the water.. set it and forget it [​IMG]

6. GloriaH

GloriaH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    I want a Sportsman now. 180 fuzzy buts at one time. How cool would that be. I am aiming for that model when I get my flock built up. I would also like to hatch Quail and release them. They are on the decline here in Tennessee.

7. fdnick

Aug 22, 2007
    Spokane, Wa.
    HAHA.. that is the bad part.. no reason NOT to buy eggs.. always have plenty of room [​IMG]
    and who can resist fuzzy butts [​IMG]

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    It depends on how much you want to spend.

9. fdnick

Aug 22, 2007
    Spokane, Wa.
    AMEN.. we lucked out and found ours used but like new on craigslist [​IMG] new ones are WAY to spendy............

10. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    Quote:I know you are gonna think this is a joke but the cheapest and best incubator is the one mother nature made-a good ole buff hen. Really mother knows best and there is no worries about temps or turning. There is nothing like watching a chick hatch with a hen. For a beginner a good broody hen is best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by