What is a good incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by judial8907, Jul 20, 2011.

1. judial8907

judial8907 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Hi again everyone,
    This time a completly different question. I think I am going to be in the market soon for a new incubator. I think mine (homemade) is too tempermental and to many varibles, resulting in shrink-wrapped and dead chicks [​IMG] . Anyway I was wondering what kind of incubator you would recommend? I would like one that does small batches like a dozen max, has a decent hatch rate, regulates its own temp and humidity and also turns the eggs. I know I may be asking for alot, but is there such a thing out there? Also can you provide me with the sites (if any) where I can see and read about the incubator? I know that the hatch rate depends alot on me and the eggs but if I could get an incubator that will work with me that's a start.
    Thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    If you want small batches, then I recommend going with a Brinsea Octagon 20. It comes in two models, the advance and the eco. I have an eco and I LOVE it. I think it is pretty foolproof. I've had quite a few great hatches with it! And it is very easy to clean, too. Since you want temperature and humidity regulation, I think you'd want the advance model, with the humidity pump. That will give you more exact temperature and humidity.

3. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Go straight for the brinsea.

http://www.brinsea.com/products/octagon20eco.htm

They have a mini that does 9 eggs at a time, but for $30 more you can get the 20 egg model, and that's enough room for most small flocks. The eco does great, but there's upgrades you can order to add in.

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:X2.. I love my Brinsea... and i had been using homemade incubators all my life until I bought it... the Brinsea has me sooo spoiled!

5. judial8907

Jul 5, 2011
    Ok I checked out the site and the pics. Maybe this sounds silly but have you had any issues with hatching chicks or (newly hatched chicks I should say) getting their little feet or toes getting stuck in those grates? This looks like a great incubator and I have heard people recommend it before, guess I will be getting one of these soon : ) I hate loosing chicks
    Quote:

6. judial8907

Jul 5, 2011
    Also if I was to buy this incubator it says that there is an optional automatic egg turner. If I choose not to buy the egg turner is there something on the outside of the bator where I can manualy turn the eggs or do I actually have to open it? I know it sounds silly but I want to know all I need to before I do this again [​IMG]

7. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

the holes in the grate are really small.. none of my chicks got toes caught..

i have the auto turner for mine... but if you notice the shape of the incubator.. it has a flat bottom then the back and front towards the bottom are angled (hence the octagon shape).. what you do if you are not using a turner is to turn the entire incubator to one of those flat sides adjacent to the bottom.. then turn it back the next time you need to turn eggs

8. judial8907

Jul 5, 2011
    I also noticed that it does not regulate the humidity at least that is what the description suggested. So I know I will have to place a gauge in there to do that, how is the humidity in the ones that you guys have? Is it difficult to regulate the humidity? I know I should buy a book like "Incubating for dummies" [​IMG] but I figured this was a good place to get first hand knowledge before I incubate again [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  9. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I have the Octagon Advance EX, AWESOME incubator. The ones that don't regulate humidity have special trays that you fill up for the incubation, and then the hatch.

10. Brown Chicka Brown Cow

Brown Chicka Brown Cow Chillin' With My Peeps

The Octagon Advance EX has auto temp. and humidity control and the auto turner....I'm loving mine so far

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by