What is a good movie for pet chickens to watch on a windy/rainy day?

Quote:
HOUSE TRAINED? Does that mean potty trained? How do you do that? I have taught my cockatoos to "go potty" when I tell them to. Usually they go back to their cage to do it without being told....but not every time. Chickens may be smart, but not as intelligent as parrots and Cockatoos.....so how would one potty train a chicken? Silkies are my addiction of choice. I have 7 of them 8-10 weeks old.

You can housebreak chickens. Well, at least teach them to use a litterbox.

They maybe somewhat less intelligent than certain parrots. However, they are far more intelligent than most people give them credit.

Quote:
Get out!!! Really?? I'm going to have to do some chicken research. I have Silkies and while they are sweet as pie, they sometimes go on the wrong side of the run when following me in and can't figure out how to turn around and go thru the door.

I think that they panic and tend to huddle together. That's nature. It probably works in the wild but not in a domestic setting. The chicken book I have on-hand mentions Ian Duncan Professor of Poultry Ethnology, University of Guelph; Chris Evans, Animal Behaviorist and Professor, Macquarie University, Australia; and Dr. Joy Mench, University of California-Davis Center for Animal Welfare.

Chickens are able to grasp the concept that something still exists after it has been removed or hidden. They can tell the difference between more and less. Also, they can learn by doing and seeing - this is a big distinction in degrees of animal intelligence. They have a complex language of at least 30 distinct vocalizations. Can recognize and remember 100 different faces and their position in the pecking order. The list goes on and on.

From what I have observed, they are more intelligent than my dog or cats. They even seem to be able to learn new vocalizations and each have their own distinct calls. Most of the 'manners' they have learned they picked up on their own. it only takes once for them to realize i have moved their house or that I let them in through the patio door. It takes my dog at least 10 times to understand similiar concepts. If you notice, they even start talking among themselves when a new situation arises or something new is introduced.

This is not surprising. Birds are extremely intelligent animals.

Sorry for the long quote reply....

So is this why, when I get home from work and walk out back where DH has let the girls out of the run already, they come running up to me as if to say, "Hi mom!"
I swear...it never fails, every day... and I love it!!!!
love.gif

Some chickens are very smart. I have a mixed breed hen that was kept inside to heal after a dog tried to make a meal of her.

Now she pecks/knocks on the door to come inside when she wants to make a deposit for my breakfast. I leave a low cabinet door open and she goes in there, lays an egg, and does her sing-song to be let outside again.

She jumps inside a box sitting on top of an empty dog house by the front door every evening at dusk so I can bring her inside at night.
love.gif

At the other end of the scale I have a rooster who just doesn't get that trying to attack gets him a very bad reaction from me...over and over again.
he.gif

To Kill a Mocking Bird... *thy steal chicken feed!

Stripes... for military minded chickens

Enchanted... for those magic moments when you are singing to your chickens.

Ground Hog's Day... for those fun egg laying days when you feel like you want to live it over and over again.

Quote:
I was feeding treats to 2 of my hens while lying down. When I ran out, the bright one jumped down and stuck her head into the pocket the treats had come out of. The not so bright one checked to see if I was hiding more up my nose. Even though we know she is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, I tell her how clever she is to catch bugs and turn them into eggs.

Our chickens loved CSI. Any of them. They were brooded in the sunroom and would stop playing to watch CSI and / or listen. I think they were attracted by the high pitched sounds in the background music.

Quote:
All right, this...is...just...hysterical!
lau.gif

Whether or not you're kidding, I will forever after start giggling when I think about your ducks drinking kool-aid, eating popcorn and smooching in the back row of the theater. I suppose they get little kool-aid mustaches if they are white-feathered ducks...

Quote:
All right, this...is...just...hysterical!
lau.gif

Whether or not you're kidding, I will forever after start giggling when I think about your ducks drinking kool-aid, eating popcorn and smooching in the back row of the theater. I suppose they get little kool-aid mustaches if they are white-feathered ducks...

I assumed you were joking. But are you serious??

flakey chick, you made me laugh till I had tears. I guess you will just have to quit putting chicken treats up your nose. lol

Back
Top Bottom