What is a good price to get for straight run Black Copper Marans chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickiepoo2, Nov 11, 2008.

1. chickiepoo2

chickiepoo2 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    How much would you pay over the internet for straight run black copper marans chicks? I'd like to see if I'm getting a fair deal or ripped off. Thanks:jumpy

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I am not sure I got a very good deal on my chicks but that is not going to happen for anyone else I don't think. I would say the $15 each is the most I would pay and I would have to see parent birds and eggs they hatched from in person to pay that. With mine I payed very little and saw parent birds grandparent birds and the eggs from both flocks all in the same day I picked up my chicks so I was very lucky and have an amazing breeder !

Good Luck with these chicks,
    Henry

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I paid $12 local for mine as babies but the going rate is now $15.

4. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    chickiepoo2 who are you buying your chicks from allot have people have bought from different breeders and they might be able to help you decide with either good or bad feedback.

Henry

5. chickiepoo2

Nov 11, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Quote:Thanks Henry,

I found the ad of Craigslist and I've been emailing back and forth. My gut tells me something isn't quite right and that's what I'm going with. I wanted to see other peoples opinions b/c this person wants $40 per day old st run chick. Hasn't provided me with pictures, references or any other info. Thanks Again

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I saw some last night on craigslist for $9 per chick for golden cuckoo and copper black marans chicks in Palm Springs area, they were already gone and the ad pulled by this morning.

7. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thanks Henry,

I found the ad of Craigslist and I've been emailing back and forth. My gut tells me something isn't quite right and that's what I'm going with. I wanted to see other peoples opinions b/c this person wants $40 per day old st run chick. Hasn't provided me with pictures, references or any other info. Thanks Again

Unless this breeder had incredible birds, I wouldn't pay anywhere near that. I would love to know the name of the breeder. Most likely someone will know them here.

Can you hatch? This would cost alot less.

And welcome to BYC.[​IMG]

8. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Oh forgot to say welcome to BYC no I would never pay that much for any breed of chicks! I had the breeder hatch mine for me and got them for $5 each this was an amazing deal! they are from very good lines and the breeder is amazing so God must have been smiling on me! I hope you find a way to get some great and not over priced Marans.

Henry

9. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    WOW!!! $40 a chick!!! thats crazy, Sounds like an ad i came across on a farm classifiieds website trying to sell barred cochins for $100 to $150 per bird saying that ya can't find them anywhere

10. chickiepoo2

Nov 11, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    I'm so glad I signed up for this forum.....Thanks for all the warm welcomes [​IMG]

I will hatch eggs.....but unfortunately I'm impatient! I'd rather have started birds but I inquired about this ad for the chicks just to see. Thanks for all the good info. I feel good not buying the chicks now. So if anyone does know of reputible place or person to get Black Copper Marans let me know. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by