What is a good % to have humidity? Please help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jennie5193, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Jennie5193

Jennie5193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    South East TN
    I thought I did a good job learning about the humidity/temp for an incubator, but now I'm questioning everything.

I have eggs in the bator that are on day 13. According to what I 1st thought, I have kept the humidity around 65% and the temp no higher than 101 (usually between 99 and 100) in a forced air bator. I was planning on upping the humidity to 85% on day 18. Is this correct?

OR:

I've read that some people have their humidity around 35-40% and move it up to 65 to hatch, is this "correct"?

The next question is, I put most of the eggs in on a Tuesday, but my hen laid a beautiful egg on Wednesday and I just "threw it in there", too. Will it be okay if I leave it in there when I do adjust the humidity for the other eggs, since it will be on day 17?

I appreciate anyone's help! Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  2. Jennie5193

Mar 2, 2009
    South East TN
    Just bumping *hoping* that someone will answer. [​IMG]

3. retiredwithchicks

retiredwithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Byrdstown, TN
  4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Your temps have been fine. IMO 65% is too high for the first 18 days. At least it is for my location. I keep mine around 30%. If it's too high for the first 18 days the air cell doesn't get big enough and the chicks may drown due to lack of air space when they internally pip. How do your air cells look? I only raise mine to about 65% on day 18.

5. Smokin Silkies

Smokin Silkies formerly browneyebuttafly

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    I am a newbie but I was told humidity should be at 30-40% for first 18 days then up it to 45-55% for the last 3 days. My temp is at 101* but I have a still air. For forced air, I was told 99.5* I bet you will get so many different answers on this. When I was researching I got so many different answers, I wasn't sure which to go with. I ended up going with these numbers. Hope this helps you some.

6. Jennie5193

Mar 2, 2009
    South East TN
    THANK YOU!

This is exactly what I was looking for, but for some reason couldn't find!

7. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Quote:PERFECT!!!! That is what I try for too browneyebuttafly!!!!

8. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Quote:What I have been reading is that it appears that there's 2 ways to set the humidity..

The way I set mine is with a cheap $6 Wal-Mart Temp/Humid. by Springfield..

I set my humidity around 25% to 50% ..avr about 40% You can never just get it perfect so don't worry about it that much.. Just above 25 and below 50%..

When the eggs startto hatch I'll try to maintain the humidity near 40%-60%...

The Temp can vary from 98.5 to 100.5.. again nothing is perfect here.. If it's to cool a late hatch,, if it's a little warm then an early hatch...

I have read where some people have had a SPIKE on temp to 102 degrees and lost their eggs..

Sometimes one needs to just trust mother nature to see if all is going to work or not..

I had 4 eggs that got cold from momma hen leaving to early for 8 little chicks (my goof) I just hatched out 2 of those 4 eggs which were about 8 days to finish..

9. Smokin Silkies

Smokin Silkies formerly browneyebuttafly

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    I am a newbie but I was told humidity should be at 30-40% for first 18 days then up it to 45-55% for the last 3 days. My temp is at 101* but I have a still air. For forced air, I was told 99.5* I bet you will get so many different answers on this. When I was researching I got so many different answers, I wasn't sure which to go with. I ended up going with these numbers. Hope this helps you some.

10. Jennie5193

Mar 2, 2009
    South East TN
    Thanks guys. I will lower my humidity to the "not lower than 25" and maybe over the next 3 days, they'll be able to lose some of the moisture and not drown when I up it again to 55% on day 18.

Does anyone have an opinion about what I should do with the egg that I put in there about 24 hours after I put the 1st eggs in?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by