WHAT IS A GOOD TYPE OF CHICKEN TO RAISE ON A FARM?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickyfuzz, Oct 6, 2013.

1. chickyfuzz

chickyfuzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2013
    Pease feel free to add photos to.

2. Triple Willow

Triple Willow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    I vote Australorp.

Mine are very calm and quiet. They started laying at 19 weeks and are very dependable layers of large brown eggs. They are very hardy and should be productive for a good while. A lot of breeds will be great for a while then in about 2-3 years lay no more eggs. Then you either keep hens that won't lay eggs ...or the alternative. They will also set on eggs and raise babies which is important if you don't want to have to keep buying birds. If raised and kept in a healthy way, Australorps will be productive for a longer period of time than most (most) of the other breeds.

*They are a dual purpose breed that is also good for meat.*

This pullet was just hatched out in March but is now setting on a small clutch of eggs herself.
    [​IMG]

They are a beautiful black color with a shiny green tint to their feathers.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  3. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    I vote Wyandottes & Orpingtons - The first is a Lavender Orpington, the next 3 are Blue Laced Wyandottes, the last is Blue Orpingtons. The Wyandottes got several color pattern variations, Orpingtons come in several solid colors. They both are calm & basically quiet birds, that's my opinion. Love them, you have so many different breeds to choose from....Enjoy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Sussex and or Wyandotte . So many colours to choose from. Hardy, friendly and very easy on the eye. Mine lay year round.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. chickyfuzz

Oct 6, 2013
    thanks for the ideas.

6. chickyfuzz

Oct 6, 2013
    Thanks I just got some sussexs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by