What is a hatcher?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stormylady, Feb 3, 2009.

1. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Ive been reading alot of posts that talk about the incubator and hatcher, I thought(?) that they were one and the same? Is there a difference? I thought I read that someone said that you are suppose to let the eggs hatch and not remove the chicks from the bator until the chicks were dry and fluffed up? Boy! do i got alot to learn!!LOL Any body wanta be my tutor?? thanks Sandy

2. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    a hatcher is another bator you use only for hatching when it is day 17/18 the last time u are suppose to turn eggs people move eggs into the hatcher/other bator because they have eggs due on other dates in the first bator so they cant change the humidity as the other eggs also need to be turned so the hatcher is used so you can incubate eggs at diffrent times but at the same time do you get what im saying?

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Sandy, Most people just use a second incubator for a hatcher when they have staggered hatches going on in their reg. incubator. That way they can take the first clutch of eggs that are to hatch out and up the humidity in the hatcher without hurting the humidity levels needed to be kept the same for the second set of eggs. I hope that made sense! lol

That's all a hatcher is a second incubator to be used the last 3 days when there is also no turning.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  4. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Thanks Bock Bock, so you can use only one bator though right, If your only doing the one set of eggs , I mean you dont nessarily need two or more bators right? At least until you know what your doing? thanks again

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I have never used a second incubator. I only set one set of eggs ever at a time in any of my incubators. It's not needed unless you stagger hatches.

6. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    yes 1 bator is fine if you set all your eggs at once you will do fine good luck on your incubating nad hatching experiance i am doing my first time incubation right now i am on day 16 YaY but this site has tought me so much lol im sure you were learn everything to

7. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Thanks Tuffoldhen, Yep think I got it now! You all are such good help! MY son just said Momma I know where this is all gonna lead, and It ain't good! LOL Silly boys, always acting like they know me! LOL Seriously though I don't have the first chick yet, they will be here friday though and IM already thinking of making more! IM so easily influenced!!!! LOL Thanks again Sandy.

8. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    ok so you ordered chicks but u are thinking about trying eggs well let me know if you do what type of chicks did u order?

9. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    EEs, Black Australorpes, cal. whites, gold sexlinks,Black sexlinks , buff orps but really want a varity of them! Salmon Faverolles, Black cochin, barred cochin, Barred rock and Delaware, all together 22 so far! and then I some more coming in April, Barnevelder, blue cochin I know two many but just couldn't help my self!

10. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    i see you are going to have a nice mixed flock no wyandatte in there lol i love the golden and silver laced wyandatte well good luck on your chick dilivery wishing you the best [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by