What Is A Hatcher?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicklette 1, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Chicklette 1

Chicklette 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    Some one said that they removed their just hatched eggs from the incubator to the hatcher for 24 hrs and then to the brooder. I know what the incubator and the brooder is but what is a hatcher?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Usually I put the eggs in the Hatcher before they go on lockdown. A Hatcher is an incubator with no turners. Chicks are messy when they hatch and humidity goes way up. So it's nice to move them out of the Bator before they hatch. It's best for the eggs not ready to hatch.;-)

3. Chicklette 1

Chicklette 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    Quote:So I would need a second incubator that does not turn the eggs? I understand the reason now........do most people do this? I am preparing to use an incubator in the next week or so and want to do it properly as the eggs will be from my seramas and I do not get many. Thanks for your response. I will be using a Brinsea Mini Advance EX.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  4. Lark Rise

Lark Rise Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    East Central Georgia
    I used a Brinsea Mini Advance for our first incubation and felt that it was too little space when the chicks hatched. The chicks that hatched earlier had to wait over 12 hours in cramped space, also they knocked the other eggs about while waiting for the last ones to hatch. In addition, it was messy and difficult to clean all the fine feathers afterward. So, I asked my husband to build me a hatcher out of a styrofoam ice chest. I love using the hatcher because the chicks have more room and it is so easy to clean and sterilize afterward.

5. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    you dont need a second one.your Brinsea Mini Advance EX should be just fine to hatch in.Just make shure when you go into lockdown you turn off the turner.Not sure how you do it on your incubator...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by