What is a healthy chicken's crop supposed to feel like?

Polish Hen House

Songster
Jun 29, 2018
East Tennessee
My Coop
My Coop
I was just wondering what a healthy chicken'c crop is supposed to feel like.
Also what is an impacted crop and is it dangerous?
I don't feel that my chickens have any crop related issues at the moment, but I do want to be prepared if they do in the future.

Can you go out and feel the crop? At night, it should be full, and feel mushy (like it's full of sodden pellets/crumble/mash) or slightly lumpy if they've been getting into the corn. In the morning, it should be empty.

An impacted crop should feel hard and never empty. It's caused by the crop's opening getting blocked so that food can't pass through. It's pretty dangerous, as the hen can starve to death.

Check out Azygous' article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Can you go out and feel the crop? At night, it should be full, and feel mushy (like it's full of sodden pellets/crumble/mash) or slightly lumpy if they've been getting into the corn. In the morning, it should be empty.

An impacted crop should feel hard and never empty. It's caused by the crop's opening getting blocked so that food can't pass through. It's pretty dangerous, as the hen can starve to death.

Thank you so much! I felt their crops and they feel full and slightly mushy. It is night here so it is a good thing that they are full.

Back
Top Bottom