what is a homogenous

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kelliepulido, Oct 23, 2008.

1. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    Show girl?

2. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Homozygous. In the case of Showgirls, it means a bird genetically pure for the naked neck gene.

Which means if you breed a homozygous roo to pure silkie hens, all of the chicks will be showgirls(naked necks). The chicks won't be homozygous though.

BTW the term for not genetically pure for a trait is called Heterozygous. As in:

Heterozygous roo bred to silkie hens: Half showgirl and half silkie chicks.

edited to add, for the naked neck gene it does not matter which parent has it. Above was only an example- silkie rooster over showgirl hen would give same results..

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  3. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    how do you know if they are homozygous if you bred a showgirl to show girl

4. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    Birds that are homozygous for the naked neck gene do not have the bow-tie in the center front of neck. Their necks are totally naked or may have only a couple feathers in the front center.

5. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Homozygous - 2 genes
    So the Showgirl has 2 naked neck genes, thus all of this birds offspring will get 1 gene from this bird there for be naked necked.

heterozygous- 1 gene
    from a showgirl with only 1 nn gene only 50% of its offspring will inherit the nn gene. So crossed with a non-nn bird only 50% of chicks will be nn, but if crossed with a homozygous you get 50% homozygous nn and 50% heterozygous nn chicks, and if crossed with another heterozygous you would get 25% homozygous nn, 25% w/o nn gene and 50% heterozygous nn.

I Hope this makes sense.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by