what is a normal hatching like?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by midoris, Jan 4, 2008.

1. midoris

midoris Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2008
    We've got 10 eggs at 21 days, one seems to have partially pipped (shell cracked but membrane intact). We've heard a little peeping, but no rocking and no tapping for the last hour. We live on the gulf coast, so humidity has been no problem, I've kept it between 70 and 80% for the last 3 days. Arrrrg, it's so late and I'm a ball of nerves

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't think there is such a thing as a normal hatching!! [​IMG] I say go to bed and get up to count your chickies in the morning!! No matter how much we check the incubator it won't make things happen any faster......ok....now the next time I'm hatching you will have to tell me the same thing! [​IMG]

3. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

I agree totally with Katy, and I have only had 1 hatch. Get some sleep.

Tonya

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Normal hatching is about 48 hours of waiting for them to all make it out from the first pip. [​IMG] Go to bed, it will be good for you [​IMG]

5. midoris

Jan 3, 2008
    k, I'm going to bed now. I know I'll be up again with a flashlight sometime before dawn, but I'm going to bed now. Maybe this egg hatching thing isn't a great idea for someone as OCD as I seem to be getting [​IMG]

6. midoris

Jan 3, 2008
    Still no chicks.

The one who pipped yesterday is still peeping some, but I'm getting kind of worried. No sign of progress, should I be thinking of helping yet?

7. midoris

Jan 3, 2008
    Yay!

The world has one more cuckoo silkie in it today [​IMG]

It's not the one that pipped yesterday though...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Just have to be patient!!...lol

9. midoris

Jan 3, 2008
    I was going to invite ya'll to come watch the hatching on the webcam, but my daughter is totally hogging all the window space now! We have one cuckoo chick, one pipped white, one pipped blue, and one rocking so hard we can't read what the heck it is [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by