What is a packing peanut?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Desirai, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Desirai

Desirai Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    I see this on the forum and I am assuming it is related to chicks, cause I usually see people say "I got a surprise packing peanut in my order"

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Extra chicks packed in the shipping box for body heat. Usually a way for hatcheries to dump hundreds of unwanted rooster, as well.

3. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Packing peanuts are chicks (usually male) that a hatchery includes in small orders so that the chicks can keep each other warm during transport. They are free and if you do not want them you have to explicitly tell the hatchery this. I got no packing peanuts because I do not want roos and I called meyer and informed them of that fact.

Sometimes there can be quite a few and if you are not prepared for that you may run into trouble.

4. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

It could be 2 things.
    The standard packing peanut = styrofoam shaped like a peanut to fill empty space in a shipping box.
    The one you're referring to, I think, is a surprise chick. Tends to be a left behind chick, more than likely not the same breed you ordered. They're considered "extra" or "unwanted."

5. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Poor roosters, they don't get no respect!!! [​IMG]

6. Desirai

Desirai Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    awwwww!!!!!!!! poor babies! Unwanted?!?! [​IMG]

that's sad. [​IMG]

so if I order from a hatchery, I'd say "Could I have 2 or 3 packing peanuts" and expect 2 or 3?

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Quote:Baby roosters are the Rodney Dangerfield of the poultry world.[​IMG]

A couple of my favorite Rodneyisms:

"My mother never breast fed me, she told me she only liked me as a friend. "

"I could tell my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio. "

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yes, if the weather conditions warrant it.

As for the "poor" roosters, well.....you just gotta face it. Nature produces 50-50 males and female. Yet Billions, yes B, billions of hens are wanted and needed, while roosters? Not much use for them. I do not know how high the percentage is over hatched roosters who "make it" to live, but I'd guess, world wide, less than 2%. The rest are destroyed.

9. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

They can also keep your chicks warmer in the case of a small order, less than 25 chicks. In today's world of small chick orders for backyard farms, it can be a good thing. You can sell or give them away on Craig's List or through BYC. I'm raising a bunch ( 15) for dog food and chicken soup/ stock. I have no hopes of being able to let them getting full sized since they are mostly Roos and I'm in a city neighborhood, but even if they weigh 2-3 pounds when processed its a bunch of nice stock and fresh meat for the dogs. My chicks that I ordered arrived safely and I helped another BYC member at the same time by taking her packing peanuts. So, I'll just raise them until they start crowing obnoxiously or causing other trouble. Right now they're fine, some are 9 weeks, some are 7 weeks.

10. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Hopefully the number of roo's eaten softens that destroyed number just a little bit...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by