What is a "splash?"

devora

Songster
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
Willits, CA Gateway to the Redwoods
I went online but couldn't find it. In looking at breeds I've seen examples of 'splash' but am still wondering.

I saw a fascinating bird called a splash frizzle cochin. I recognize the 'frizzle,' what ought I be looking for to see the 'splash?'

I have a splash silkie and its kind of a grey / blue color with dark spots it that makes sense. Check out this website, I think there is at least one on there. indigoegg.us

The color. Black, white, gray, brown. I have 3 splash Easter Eggers. The girls are mostly white with splashes of black and gray. My roo is now mostly gray, with splashes of white, black, and brown.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that "splash" was a genetic variety that are Blue, Black or Splash. Blue being gray, black (obviously) black and splash white and black. The offspring of a blue, black or splash brid could be any of the three. So where RIR will produce red offspring, blue birds could produce blue, black or splash. I thought it was a genetic phenomonom (sic) of particular birds.

Do a search for splash on this site, I think you'll understand what I mean when you see the results.

No, that is incorrect. A blue bird is actually a black bird. Blue is a dilute of the black gene. The offspring of two BLUES can be blue, black or splash. A blue mated to a black will only produce blue or black, not splash, for instance. Splash x Black is 100% blue offspring. Splash x Splash gives all splash chicks. Blue x Splash will not give you black chicks.

Last edited:
Speckled, when you say splash x blue or something like a barred rock x cornish or something similar, does that always mean that the first one you say is the male?

Say in those examples above the splash and the barred rock would be the males?

Just wondering if that is a set "chicken talkin rule."

thanks

Ok lets say I want splash baby silkies. I have white , black , blue, red and buff. Who do I need to put together if any ? Or do I need a splash to have splash babies?
I hate genetics!!!!:|
Take Care
Cristina

<---- This is an example of a Splash Silkie.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom