What is a "Split Lavander"

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LilQtBear, Oct 7, 2011.

1. LilQtBear

LilQtBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2011
    Oregon
    New to all this and have been researching like im in full time school about breed standards (orpingtons) and colors and all that. I noticed some talk about the "split lav" What is this? how? and what does it do for future breeding?

Maybe someone can help explain or let me know where this may have already been discusse... thanks

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It means the bird carries the gene for Lavender but does not express it, as Lavender is recessive and requires both copies. (so, the bird is black when it's a "split" )

People make these all the time to improve Lavender colored birds, like Orpingtons, by crossing them out to better quality Orpingtons (preferrably black) Then you either cross a Split x Split to get 25% Lavs, choosing the best of them, or you breed the Splits back to a Lavender.

Personally I prefer seeing people have Splits going around, shows that they actually want to improve the color. Soo many Lavender Orpingtons out there are obviously just bred/sold for profit and the fad of the color, as the birds themselves are depressingly far from what an Orpington looks like. My opinion. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  3. LilQtBear

Sep 10, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:[​IMG]

thank you. lol - your on top of these genetics questions - im still trying to figure this out like crazy, reading, searching.... but still get confused, probably cuz im not genetics/bio smart (or whatever it takes to understand it)

On the genetics calculator I was playing around with the colors and was seeing that "split" word when I put blue over lav..... so I was starting to get confused what is the best to do with that after words when breeding. [​IMG] But I got to find some showes around here (dot know if we have any) so I can see a poultry show and see some outstanding birds to compare too. [​IMG]
    this can be fun! I want to do something amazing with the orps in my area cuz we have none that I can find on the west coast - but I want to do it right as well.

I got my Blue Roo from Poppy creek farm - and some hens from them are nearby - and I ordered some BBS from Bargin.... and I hope to learn and do my best from researching all I can on here [​IMG] so helpful everyone is

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Well I don't know where you are in OR but there's quite a few English Orp breeders here in the rainy section of WA state. . . English or American type, whatever you want to breed to, the English Orps will still help fluff the birds out a little.

5. LilQtBear

Sep 10, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:whats your opinion on this guy? Seems super fluffy.... and HUGE to me??? I was hearing one wasn't supposed to be so big... the I heard others were breeding for it
    I was thinking about posting in the genetics,showing section and asking for other orpington people who have more experience to critique this guy for me - do you have the knowledge to give me your opinion

Ps im in Eugene (ish) area (actually in dexter which is 30 min from Eugene, but most know that area)

While struttin around another roo
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Handsome roo!

7. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Male Orps are supposed to be 10-12 pounds. Weigh him. There are some out there that are 15 pounds and I'd personally rather have one "too big" than too small any day of the week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by