What is a sticky? I think I posted in the wrong spot but need help

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Cowgirlgrace, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Cowgirlgrace

Cowgirlgrace Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm a new member and posted a message on the Poultry Predator Identification but it came up with 'sticky'? and there have been no replies all day so I don't think its getting read. Hoping this will send someone to my post to help with my predator problem.

Thanks!

2. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    So I looked and will look again but couldn't find your post. Im new too [​IMG]

3. Cowgirlgrace

It's at the top of the page when you jump to the topic of 'Pests and Predators'

4. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    The easiest thing to do is to copy and paste your original message in to your initial post in this thread (just edit out the rest) and rename the thread something like `what is it, Weasels?' Or just start another thread and copy and paste your original message into it.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  5. FortWorthChicks

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    this was her message:

Hello everyone, I've finally joined but desparation has motivated me. Been meaning to sign up for a while and know I'm going to love this. I just read the predator article and it was very helpful but am now confused as my searches for the predator in my coop have turned up conflicting info.

We have had chickens at this farm for 17 years and I have never had a predator problem except stray dogs when the chickens were let out to roam but no problem with that for many years. My chickens have a very secure coop but are free to come and go as they please between the coop and the run (6 foot chainlink but not covered)and I do not lock them in at night. Seventeen years of no predators made me very trusting. Three mornings ago after a hard frost I came down to find a dead chicken still warm and as it had been daylight for a few hours the tragedy happened in the daylight hours. With the cold if it had happened in the dark it would have been cold. The only injury to the hen was its bottom bit out and the innards were eaten, No damage to the head and neck and no meat was eaten, breasts and legs and all was still intact. We quickly made doors for all the coop openings so they couldn't come out in the morning until we let them out. I searched for predators on the internet and came up with the only animals who bite the bottoms were possoms and skunks and weasels were said to bite the heads. Thinking they would be safe if not let out until around 9 am I let them out the next morning with out any problems but the following morning after letting them out and returning a few hours later there was yet another dead chicken, same as the first but cold and rigored so not sure what time it happened but definately daylight.

The article states that weasels do this but other info says they don't and only go for the head so still not sure what we are looking for. Been standing guard the last few mornings with the 22 and kept the dogs at the house so as not to scare whatever it is from showing itself but nothing yet. Would rather trap it and I would probably miss with the 22 anyway but want to know what it is first. Has anyone had this type of predation? Whatever it is the chickens are not even safe in the daylight. Aren't most of these predators nocturnal? It's probably climbing over the chainlink but if it's a weasel it could fit through the links. There is a section that borders a hillside that the chickens have scratched into and under the link but I have kept filling it in with logs and rocks but it could still be possible that there is a burrow there though I can't find one.

Please help. These poor chickens are suffering horrible slow deaths by losing their intestines! Ick! I never want to let them out again.

6. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Do not concern yourself too awfully much with what it is (preds that normally hunt at night learn to alter their schedules based on how hungry they are and the times that `dinner' is served). If you do not have a live trap, get one. Keep it set and baited 24/7).

You can sprinkle flour or the like on the areas around coop/run where you think it might have entered (look for tracks). The only successful breaching of our run fence occurred shortly after dawn, a little opossum got some of the roo's tail feathers (our three havahart traps were already occupied - pred. heavy area).

Do you have the option of installing an electric fence around run? This would be the least costly upgrade of your passive defenses (covering run/wrapping fencing in .5" hardware cloth, skirting run with more hardware cloth laid flat on ground (digging barrier), and/or burying fencing $$$).

See this thread for live trap enhancements: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=232969

Sorry
    about your chooks. Wish we could go 17days without some bad mannered chicken gourmand showing up. Seventeen years without an attack must be a record of some sort.

Good luck, and welcome.

7. FortWorthChicks

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Wow I am going to remember that about the flour! Great tip. So far I have not had any problems but my run is bricked in on two sides and the other sides we buried the wire. I took extra measures and piled heavy rocks around the outside too. :-o

The five of them do get free roam over the back yard during the day and well I kindof figured they were big enough that a hawk wouldn't go for them. :s

8. Cowgirlgrace

Thanks for the reply! I thought if I knew what it was I would have a better idea of how to keep it out and also what to bait a trap with. If it was a weasel, it would actually be able to get into the hen house also even with the doors on since they are so small, I would have to put hardware cloth over the vented peaks. If it was climbing over the run I would definately add electric but if it's coming through a burrow I could shore up the one edge by the bank.

Ya, after reading others problems I think I've been extra lucky. The house is pretty securely built and the 6 ft chainlink run is strong but I hear people having trouble with hawks and eagles, we have lots of bald eagles in WA but I have never had any attack my chickens. My neighbor about 1/4 mi down the road borders a tree farm and she gets lots of critters. She has electric around hers. They just havn't made their way down to my place until now. Now that the word is out I'm sure they are planning a long over due party!

9. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:Hello fellow fort worthian!!!

[​IMG]

Cowgirlgrace: I wish I could help, but I really have no experience with the predator area. I hope you find the answer soon.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by