what is a trustworthy cheap incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Varisha, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Varisha

Varisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2007
    I'm thinking of joining the incubator owner/operators club. However I do not have hundreds to spend so I need one that is cheap. But I worry that cheap could mean that it's unreliable. So I turn to those that have been there before me, what incubators should I look at.

Also I would be able to make due with one that just does a handfull of eggs. The plus side to that is less dust in the house... down side is it will take longer to build my flock up.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Build one. It's easy. I have instructions for a couple I built.

3. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Like Prissy said, the cheapest thing to do would be to build one, but if you decide not to do that, the Hovabator by GQF if extremely reliable.

4. Gonzo the Great

Gonzo the Great Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    Sugar Land, TX
    When making your own bator and using bare styrofoam, what do you use to clean when an egg explodes? Should a secondary bator be prepared to assist in rebound? What cleansing products are safe to use on styrofoam? I was thinking (in probably too much detail) to have the foam replaced each time. I know it's not environmentally sound, but where I work, I have access to alot of surplus foam.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    LG still airs work for some...you can get one without a turner and or add a turner somewhere down the line...they run under $50.00....

Most just clean their bators with warm soapy water and a weak solution of clorox...rinse acouple times...

Not suppose to have exploding eggies!!...lol..suppose to get those out of there before hand!!!.... [​IMG]

6. leecey411

leecey411 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2007
    I have a modest Hovabator 1602. It was about $40.00 a few years ago. Cheap enough not to feel like I was making an investment in a new hobby, It does fine by me. My first hatch was button quails and then I added an autoturner and fan and went onto chickens. If I would buy another modest incubator I would try the Genesis that is preset to the right temp.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  7. Varisha

Varisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2007
    Thanks everyone I have decided to try and make one. I picked up the lamp kit and bulb and will slowly gather supplies until I have everything I need.

Would a rubbermaid container work... I bet not because it would need insulated... oh wait maybe if I line it with the styrofoam. The reason is I have cats that like to scratch up styrofoam and such [​IMG]

8. opihiman911

opihiman911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    better secure your incubator in a closed room. In the past I have learned that cats+incubator+chicks= [​IMG] then you will be :thun at the cat and might give it a [​IMG]
    Feel free to subsitute dogs in the above equation.

Good luck with you adventure...its worth it.

Aloha,
    Cory

9. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    tuffoldhen and leecey where do you get those incubators for $50 and $40? The cheapest I could find was $76.

10. sgray136

sgray136 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Huntertown, Indiana
    Take Miss Prissy's advice and build one. Here is one I built based on her instructions. With an automatic egg turner I have a grand total of $65.00 dollars in mine and it has a fan and an egg turner!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by