What is a trustworthy "yet not a million dollar" incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by redhen, Oct 7, 2008.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    hi..i'm starting to get the hatching itch!...[​IMG]...i want to hatch some button quail eggs, any suggestions on a 'bator?..and where do i get one?...thanks, Wendy

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I love my forced air hovabator. If you can afford it, get the 1588 with the turner. It has a built in thermostat that regulates the temps in there so you don’t have to adjust them….

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2008
  3. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    I love my homemade 'bator...got some hatching right now! [​IMG]
    ~Rebecca

4. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    any ideas on how much they cost?..thanks again, Wendy

5. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

The cheapest I've found them is $108 or so...sometimes they are on eBay as well....

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've been very happy with my Hova-bator Genesis 1588s.

7. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    has anyone ever heard of a "little giant'...i found one ay my local feed store for $85.99 (plus $50.00, if i want a turner..)..are they a good brand?..thanks

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

The Brinsea Octagon 40. Thats what I have. Ive had it 6 years (?). and it still works great. The best!

9. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    so far the only ones i can find in my area are the little giants...does anyone know anything abouot them?...and do i want still air? and a turner? and also do i need the quail egg holders..cause the guy at the store said i might need them..*sigh*..ooh boy!..here i go again...on another mission!...[​IMG]..thanks, Wendy

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I use the little giant, but I added a fan to mine. That is pretty expensive though. I paid about $95 for mine, with the turner. I would suggest looking online to find one cheaper. Even with shipping, it would be as much, and you would probably get a better bator. The LG has worked pretty good for me though, even before I put the fan in. Only had trouble with getting the humidity to stay up high enough for hatching.
    <edit> I have the chicken egg turner in mine. I have half the trays taken out, and have my quail eggs on the open side. They are in quail egg cartons, and I turn them by hand. But like I said, I added a fan to mine. I got a small pc fan off eBay, for $3 with free shipping, and it works great. I wouldn't bother with the quail turner, unless you plan on hatching a lot of quail. You could also just turn all the eggs by hand, but if you have a lot, this would be very time consuming! The turner just makes it easier, and that way you know they are being turned enough. Good luck!!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by