What is a typical percenatage of shipped egg hatch rate?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cutlass1972, Aug 21, 2011.

1. cutlass1972

cutlass1972 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    I bought my first fertile eggs from a BYC auction. They came in Packaged BEAUTIFULLY. I had my incubator tuned in perfectly before the eggs got here and even bought an egg turner this time around. Yet I still only got 5 chicks out of 14 eggs.

I have success fully hatched out some of my own eggs at a rate more like 90% previously. Is this just part of hatching mail order eggs or was I unlucky?

2. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    You really never know what eggs go through in shipping... handling, temps, x-ray, etc. I have had 60% and higher hatches, but also had cases where 1 egg out of 12 hatched. It's always a gamble...

3. cutlass1972

cutlass1972 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    so 5 out of 14 is not THAT bad? That makes for some expensive chicks! About $10 each this go around.

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:That's pretty good if I had that rate I would think I had a good hatch.
    Michele

5. OtterCreekRanch

OtterCreekRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    NE Texas
    It is luck of the draw I think. I have tried shipped eggs twice. The first time I got 5 eggs. 2 started to develop but 1 quit part way through. Only 1 hatched and it was slightly deformed. Only made it 2-3 days. The second time I ordered 6 eggs. One came cracked so I went ahead and broke it open and confirmed it was fertile. None of the rest even started to develop. Mind you I do not hatch my own eggs (I pay someone with several large incubators to do it for me currently), but I am getting a decent hatch rate on my own eggs that are not from extremely young hens, so I do not think it is the incubation technique. I have not ordered anymore shipped eggs due to the poor hatch rate. I probably won't until I get my own incubator and can play around with different methods myself.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  6. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

It is amazing how rough travel is on parcels. Not entirely the fault of USPS, because lots of the process is automated. To get any to hatch would be considered good IMO. I got some eggs from a successful reputable shipper but 1/2 had become broken in transit, so I imagine the life of the others was probably scrambled as well.

The more rough the travel the less likely the egg will hatch. A 50% on shipped eggs is actually considered outstandingly good from what I have read. I am amazed that some folks go to Trader Joe's and purchase a carton of fertile eggs, and some of those hatch. You just never know.

7. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    Quote:x 2. Shipped eggs are really a gamble. Sometimes it's worth taking, sometimes not.

8. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    [​IMG] WOW 5 out of 14 is awesome compared to mine, I have 4 live chicks out of ~48 or so shipped eggs, I lost track of the #. I have 2 lav orp chicks , 1 Silkie and 1 Merriam turkey:lol: I just wanted a pair so I could breed my own, we shall see! Currently have 25 Silkie eggs incubating
    Ayda

9. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Hi [​IMG] !
    I just purchased some off of Ebay and they came in two separate boxes but on the same delivery and from the same person. One box looked fine but one box was all crushed in. The boxes were strong boxes but one was really damaged. The box that looked OK had 9 golden buff Orpington Eggs in it and they were put into the incubator on the 13. There are what appear to be 7 really good embryos going on. The eye buds lots of good veins and movement. The second damaged box had two outright broken eggs and after candling them last night I have removed and opened all but three. The 4 that were opened look like the were fertile but had blood rings. I assume this to be the shipping damage. The three that are left - two look promising the third - ?. This is my first time hatching chicken eggs but they are in a really good incubator. I also purchased off of a separate ebay individual 9 Ameraucana eggs and eight are looking really good! One is so dark though that it looks farther along then the other seven! I started them in the same incubator one day earlier but they are a lot farther along than the other eggs so I have put them in their own incubator. They look as if they will hatch sooner [​IMG] .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by