What is a vegetarian to do with six week old cockerells?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kidmoab, Oct 21, 2008.

1. kidmoab

kidmoab Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2008
    Davis Ca
    Thank you MM hatchery for your "sexed" BOs. I kept six of 24 that I ordered for my first backyard flock. Three are sporting prominent combs and acting cocky. I'm glad in a way, because I'm already thinking about a different breed down the road.
    My neighborhoods CCRs only allow for three "pets" anyway.

Trouble is I'm kind of attached to all six.[​IMG]

2. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    List them on craigslist. I gotten rid of a couple rooster that way.

3. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Craigslist or post them here on the chickens buy sell trade thread. Someone near you may want them.

4. SproutGirl

SproutGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, Montana
    You've heard "Taste's like chicken?" Well, tastes like tofu! Or, at least like those Morningstar Chik Patties. Ha ha. Sorry. I couldn't help it.
    [​IMG]
    We gave our roosters to a couple of organic local egg farmers. Those boys are happy daddies now, running around on 5 free range acres with lots of ladies and some older guys to show 'em how it's done!

5. kidmoab

kidmoab Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2008
    Davis Ca
    Woot Craigslist!
    I posted them last night around midnight, and got a reply in 30 minutes. The farmer's comin' over this afternoon to pick 'em up.

6. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Craigslist is the rooster owners best friend [​IMG]

7. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Are you sure they were roosters ?? Did you ask what he was going to do with them, i'm guessing he's not a vegetarian !!

8. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    This dilemma is the #1 reason of why I don't try to hatch eggs!

9. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I was brought several RIR cockrels by a "vegan" last summer who wanted me to keep them as pets. I told her I would keep them, but only to fatten them up to butchering size. She started crying and said she'd been trying for weeks to find a pet home for them w/o any luck. When I asked how she'd ended up with them when she didn't even eat eggs she said she'd rescued them from a feed store so no one would eat them. No coop, no pen, no fenced yard and an angry landlord threatening eviction later she was desperate to unload her little feathered fiends. I felt darn sorry for these birds. They'd spent three weeks crammed in several dog crates being fed her vegan leftovers.
    She left them with me still crying her eyes out. It took almost 8 weeks to get those guys plump and healthy with the rough start they'd had. I emailed her pics of them free ranging and being happy. I think she felt better knowing they'd art least had several monthso fo good chicken life. I didn't tell her they were very tasty.

10. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Ohhhh how sad !!! The poor lady, she must of been sick for weeks over it !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by