What is affecting my flock?

EarthMamaBear

In the Brooder
Aug 25, 2022
Blessed evening, BYC family. I’m hoping y’all can help me diagnose and treat what’s going on with several of my birdies. I’ve noticed this for several months now, in various different stages and symptoms. My research leads me to believe possibly Mareks or maybe Mycoplasma. I’ve attached some pictures of what the eyes look like, which is the main symptom. I have hens that are laying now that have the droopy eye and are healthy, so whatever it is...some are succumbing to it and others are pulling through. I really don’t wish to cull my whole flock, as many aren’t showing any symptoms at all and the progression is variable. Only one birds show the bubbles in the corner of the eye, so that makes me think less likely of MG. I did see a couple of my ill ones “yawning” today (have video but can’t attach it) so perhaps it is something respiratory. For the case of Marek’s, I had one of my favorite little bantam roos get a cloudy and then blind eye, and he ultimately passed on. I’ve had two birds be fine and then suddenly be on their side, unable to stand upright. One passed on its own and the other we ultimately chose to humanely cull. No signs of star-gazing, paralysis, tumors, or anything of the sort. Some of them are losing weight and actively overall that they don’t feel so great.

I also noticed a tapeworm passed by one yesterday, so I wormed the whole flock with Panacur. I’m hoping this helps the ones that are feeling I’ll feel better. The feces, overall, looks good. No blood, crazy colors, or anything too unusual.

As treatment and preventatives for all things and to boost their systems, I use ACV, oregano oil, garlic, a backyard chicken overall health booster tablet, and HydroHen in their water. I’ve direct treated several with a Nutritional supplement to give them a vitamin boost. They routinely receive herbal support boosters in their food as well. They mostly free-range and are fed an organic feed.

I know that most of these chicken diseases can’t be cured and that they will continue to transmit between the flock. I’m running a closed flock, as I believe this came to me from getting an ill chick from someone when I first was getting started back in the spring. I don’t wish to spread it, so everyone is sticking around. Since I don’t want to cull everyone, I’d love recommendations on what it might be, how to further boost their immunity and treatment, how to reduce it spreading and protect new birds (babies hatching in ~2 weeks), and whatever else will help my feathered babies. I think I feel complete with that for now. Please feel free to ask me any questions if you need more info to help the thought train. Thank you in advance. Appreciate you all and my birds do too. ❤️

Attachments

• BB146442-2AE2-410E-8742-822A54854FB6.jpeg
    BB146442-2AE2-410E-8742-822A54854FB6.jpeg
    340.3 KB · Views: 24
  • AF689CF6-4D66-4966-89AB-3B99A2456314.jpeg
    AF689CF6-4D66-4966-89AB-3B99A2456314.jpeg
    280.2 KB · Views: 8
  • C4872945-D543-4088-B549-3D17A68AEF5B.jpeg
    C4872945-D543-4088-B549-3D17A68AEF5B.jpeg
    437.4 KB · Views: 10
My research leads me to believe possibly Mareks or maybe Mycoplasma.

I’ve attached some pictures of what the eyes look like, which is the main symptom. I have hens that are laying now that have the droopy eye and are healthy, so whatever it is...some are succumbing to it and others are pulling through.
Bubbles in the eyes along with respiratory symptoms can generally be considered Mycoplasma, but without testing, there's no way to know for sure.
You can try treating with Tylan or Tiamulin to see if the symptoms improve.

Only one birds show the bubbles in the corner of the eye, so that makes me think less likely of MG. I did see a couple of my ill ones “yawning” today (have video but can’t attach it) so perhaps it is something respiratory.
For video, upload to YouTube and provide a link, the BYC does not work.
For the case of Marek’s, I had one of my favorite little bantam roos get a cloudy and then blind eye, and he ultimately passed on. I’ve had two birds be fine and then suddenly be on their side, unable to stand upright. One passed on its own and the other we ultimately chose to humanely cull. No signs of star-gazing, paralysis, tumors, or anything of the sort. Some of them are losing weight and actively overall that they don’t feel so great.
If you lose another, then sending the body to your state lab for diagnostics can give you some answers. https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
I also noticed a tapeworm passed by one yesterday, so I wormed the whole flock with Panacur.
Panacur (Fenbendazole) will not treat Tapeworms. You need to use Praziquantel.
Products and doses are in this link https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-tapeworms-under-construction.1220309/

Bubbles in the eyes along with respiratory symptoms can generally be considered Mycoplasma, but without testing, there's no way to know for sure.
You can try treating with Tylan or Tiamulin to see if the symptoms improve.

For video, upload to YouTube and provide a link, the BYC does not work.

If you lose another, then sending the body to your state lab for diagnostics can give you some answers. https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Panacur (Fenbendazole) will not treat Tapeworms. You need to use Praziquantel.
Products and doses are in this link https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-tapeworms-under-construction.1220309/
Thank you! I’ve saved a lot of this info. I’ve tried Tylan50 for birds before without much success. Bout to quarantine this one little and will try on her to see if it helps. I’ll get some of the better dewormer too. I appreciate the help!

Thank you! I’ve saved a lot of this info. I’ve tried Tylan50 for birds before without much success. Bout to quarantine this one little and will try on her to see if it helps. I’ll get some of the better dewormer too. I appreciate the help!
Make sure you are giving the Tylan50 orally 3 times a day for 5 days.
I would go with 0.25ml per pound of weight.

Hopefully they will recover.

Grand rising. Things are moving along here, and I’m learning that it is something respiratory related, as I can hear the slightly labored breathing of some of them when I pick them up. Per recommendation, I started the ill ones on Penicillin injection. Today will be day 3. Several are looking better, and I have some that are looking worse. This little one now has a limp neck thing going on, and I have a roo that now can’t walk. Any other suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• 40F64FD6-2F6C-43C7-9545-1EC962357D11.jpeg
    40F64FD6-2F6C-43C7-9545-1EC962357D11.jpeg
    517 KB · Views: 9
Hey BYC fam. I decided this morning to take 3 birds who were very ill to the state lab for necropsy and diagnostic. Had a good talk with the veterinarian before leaving, and they called already with prelim results. The main results will be around 10 days since they have to send them to another lab within the state and it being a goldfish weekend. Prelim reports show signs of a bacterial disease, as well as likely Mareks and possibly Mycoplasma of some sort. Will know more when the final report comes back in. It was heartbreaking to make this decision to send birds off for research, but I’m finding solace in the fact that knowledge is power and knowing exactly what’s going on will help me tend to and treat the rest of my flock. Thank y’all for your support. I’ll share more info as I receive it.

Lots of good advice and lots of what I already do (cleaning the coop regularly, clean dishes, free range part of the day, DE) so I won’t repeat that… but after reading some of these posts I did find some ideas I will start incorporating.

One thing I will mention is how important probiotics and prebiotics are. I give scobies (from making kombucha) when I have new ones to use and will be offering Kefir soon as well once I get my grains in. I do offer any fresh raw goat milk that we have extra (which isn’t really much with 6 children). I am also venturing into fermenting veggies which I will also offer my chickens and keep giving to them if they desire. All three of those are loaded in good bacteria and so good for the immune system. Fresh kitchen scraps they also get and enjoy.
Hey BYC fam. I decided this morning to take 3 birds who were very ill to the state lab for necropsy and diagnostic. Had a good talk with the veterinarian before leaving, and they called already with prelim results. The main results will be around 10 days since they have to send them to another lab within the state and it being a goldfish weekend. Prelim reports show signs of a bacterial disease, as well as likely Mareks and possibly Mycoplasma of some sort. Will know more when the final report comes back in. It was heartbreaking to make this decision to send birds off for research, but I’m finding solace in the fact that knowledge is power and knowing exactly what’s going on will help me tend to and treat the rest of my flock. Thank y’all for your support. I’ll share more info as I receive it.
I hope you find the answers needed and that you can get the rest of your flock healthy.

Back
Top Bottom