WHAT IS AGE LIMIT FOR FRESH EGGS?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tamemeg, Aug 28, 2008.

1. tamemeg

tamemeg Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    Ok, i'm new to chickens, but plan on being a pro by spring....LOL I would like to be able to sell my extra eggs and would like to know how long they can be kept? Do I refrigerate them soon as I get them? [​IMG]

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Refridgerated eggs will keep 3 - 4 months and be fine.

3. tamemeg

tamemeg Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    [​IMG] WOW I had no idea they would keep that long!! Thanks

4. Lakebay Farmers

Lakebay Farmers New Egg

Aug 28, 2008
    I'm new and this is my first post. How long can the eggs stay in the coop and still be good to eat?

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Welcome to BYC. You need to collect the eggs a couple times a day if you can - once in the morning and one at the evening before you lock them in for the night.

Do not be lazy with egg collection. You will be setting yourself up for troubles with egg eaters and bad eggs or a bunch of broodies that stop laying.

6. Lakebay Farmers

Lakebay Farmers New Egg

Aug 28, 2008
    We've been checking every day at least, but will now check in the morning and night. Is there a standard time frame though, and does it change depending on the temperature?

Thanks!

7. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Eggs last a long time. It never meant much to me back then but I wish it had. When I used to push carts at a local grocery store in highschool, I saw the dairy/frozen guys repacking eggs out of cartons with expired dates. God knows how old they were. I have no idea if anybody caught on or not. :eek:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by