What is an appropiate size pen for a pair of wood ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by thenewbckyrdchicknfrmer, Jan 17, 2010.

1. thenewbckyrdchicknfrmer

thenewbckyrdchicknfrmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    Toms River, New Jersey
    Hello everyone, I'm thinking about getting a pair of either wood ducks or mandarins, but i need to know the minimun size pen for a pair? and if you have pics of yours, feel free to post!! Thanks everyone!

2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    The minimum pen for a pair of woodies or mandarins if you want them to fly is probably 8'x8'. Just think, they will have babies and they will need some room too. Here are some pics of mine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. thenewbckyrdchicknfrmer

Jun 16, 2009
    Toms River, New Jersey
    yeah, thats what i figured, what do you feed yours?

4. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    I feed them a dumor layer feed. In the winter I mix in some cracked corn to make them a little fat for winter. The corn is not mixed anymore because breeding season will be here soon. They also get treats all of the time!

5. thenewbckyrdchicknfrmer

Jun 16, 2009
    Toms River, New Jersey
    okay, Thanks! BTW you havesome beautifull birds!

6. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    yep 8x8 will be fine, just remember, if you're like me though, you wont stop with 1 pair and if they arent pinioned, bigger is always better. It's best that they have room to walk away from you when you enter the pen to feed up and clean as they can be flighty and you dont want them to be spooked every time you enter the pen. After time, they will adjust to you and not do this, but just bare that in mind, build the bigger one you can justify for the birds sake and like I said, you'll get more! [​IMG]

7. thenewbckyrdchicknfrmer

Jun 16, 2009
    Toms River, New Jersey
    LOL! Would i quad or trio. fit in a 12 foot wide, 24 foot long, and 8 foot high hoop style aviary? also, i was thinking about making it a planted aviary, would would be some good bushes/shrubs/trees to plant int here?

8. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    oh yes, that would be enough for several pairs actaully.
    Planted is always a plus, also logs, large stones, anything to landscape it up helps both the birds and makes you pen look awesome.
    They need to be tuff plants though, pampas grasses, junipers, stuff like that...

9. thenewbckyrdchicknfrmer

Jun 16, 2009
    Toms River, New Jersey
    okay, yeah iw ould add stumps, fallen treees, big rocks for themt o perch ect. how big of a pond would they need to bathe in?

10. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    any will work, the bigger the better. I usually did 1/3 of the aviaries in ponds when I did it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by