What is an EE and red sex link

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by clucking chicken, Aug 31, 2009.

1. clucking chicken

clucking chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    i was just wondering is an EE and a sex link if u like u could post pics please thanks

2. Capone

Capone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Rhode Island
    a sex link is a chicken that can be sexed as day old chicks. the ones i have are called red stars. who are very prolific egg layers. and an ee is a easter egg chicken that will lay bluish or greenish colored eggs.

3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

errr.. I suggest going to a Hatchery sight and look at what they say and their pics of the various Sex-Link birds. There's lots of names, Golden Comet, Cinnamon Queen, ISO Brown, Red Star, Black Star... there's lots of other hatchery names which are copyrighted based on the particular stock and breeds they use. You can cross your own at home, and call em whatever you like, but you're not supposed to sell them under 'those' names. (though I don't think there's many police searching for people who do.)

EEs are "Easter Eggers" and that means they lay eggs of various colors. Many call them Americaunas, Ameraucana or Araucanas, but be aware that the only one of those that (as far as I've been able to tell)... that is an actual breed standard for and that is the Araucana. Here is a link to a organization site, http://www.araucana.net/

Americauna or Ameraucanas are mostly birds that lay tinted eggs in various shades of blue, green, pink, olive, etc... They're beginning to get much more standardized, and I hve several which are EEs and decent examples of what I'd call "Ameraucanas" that are very nice and very interesting, but EEs are still a pretty broad category. The dark gray hen and the whitish hen in my avatar pic are two of my EEs.

Too much of an answer for you? heh, sorry! sometimes I babble!

4. Capone

Capone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by