1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is an internal pip???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dandydoodle, Nov 23, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    What is an internal pip and how do you know if they have done it?

Thanks,
    MIchelle [​IMG]

2. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    An internal pip is when the chick breaks its' beak into the air pocket.

I'm not sure how these people are knowing they have internally pipped without candling during lockdown, which other people insist is VERY BAD.

And those people are being a very bad influence on me because I'm early in day 20 and I want to candle to see if I can see internal pipping.

3. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I was wondering if you would know because, you could hear them chirping at this point. I definitely wouldn't candle once they have gone into lockdown, my luck would be there would be a baby in there that had pipped I didn't see and it would shrink wrap. It is really hard but, I just try to be patient and keep peeking through the window. [​IMG] I have tried candling before and I really can't see anything through the egg, I have been trying to use a flash light but I just don't think that is good enough.

4. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Does anyone know how you know if you have an internal pip. I wouldn't think it would be by candling because, that would be during lock down.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    If you hear the chick peep and it has not broken through the shell.

6. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Yes, if you hear an egg cheeping, then you know that chick has pipped into the air cell. They can't start cheeping till they're breathing air... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by