what is ascites?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lothiriel, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    can anyone tell me soon what ascites is? one of my girls might have it and i need to know!

2. cheepchicks

cheepchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Indiana
    I did a little research and quickly searching this is what I found.

Ascites

Extracted From:
    A Pocket Guide to
    Poultry Health
    and
    Disease
    Order me a copy
    By Paul McMullin
    [​IMG] 2004
    Click Here to
    Order Your Copy
    Introduction

Associated with inadequate supplies of oxygen, poor ventilation and physiology (oxygen demand, may be related to type of stock and strain). Ascites is a disease of broiler chickens occurring worldwide but especially at high altitude. The disease has a complex aetiology and is predisposed by reduced ventilation, high altitude, and respiratory disease. Morbidity is usually 1-5%, mortality 1-2% but can be 30% at high altitude. Pulmonary arterial vasoconstriction appears to be the main mechanism of the condition.
    Signs

* Sudden deaths in rapidly developing birds.
    * Poor development.
    * Progressive weakness and abdominal distension.
    * Recumbency.
    * Dyspnoea.
    * Possibly cyanosis.

Post-mortem lesions

* Thickening of right-side myocardium.
    * Dilation of the ventricle.
    * Thickening of atrioventricular valve.
    * General venous congestion.
    * Severe muscle congestion.
    * Lungs and intestines congested.
    * Liver enlargement.
    * Spleen small.
    * Ascites.
    * Pericardial effusion.
    * Microscopic - cartilage nodules increased in lung.

Diagnosis

Gross pathology is characteristic. A cardiac specific protein (Troponin T) may be measured in the blood. This may offer the ability to identify genetic predisposition. Differentiate from broiler Sudden Death Syndrome and bacterial endocarditis.

Treatment

Improve ventilation, Vitamin C (500 ppm) has been reported to be of benefit in South America.
    Prevention

Good ventilation (including in incubation and chick transport), avoid any genetic tendency, control respiratory disease.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  3. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Ascites is a build up of fluid in the abdominal cavity some times called water belly. the causes are, weakened heart muscle, high blood pressure,to much salt, drug over doses, liver infections, lack of oxygen, sometimes i'ts hereditary. The cases Im most familiar with was caused from consuming to much salt(feeding dog food as treats)

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    ... there is usually an underlying (primary) condition and ascites is secondary to that....
    It often accompanies reproductive disease/disorders

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by