What is best way to get lacing introduced to my Easter Egger flock?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by karimw, Jan 5, 2011.

1. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    I have a flock of 30+ mostly BBS Ameraucanas and EEs with 2 EE roos and 1 Ameraucana roo, that is all white. I have several other layer types as you can see in my signature line, but I want to get some laced hens to mix in so I can get the lacing pattern introduced. What breed would be best for this?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Silver Laced Wyandottes, but make sure that the EE's you introduce them to are blue egg layers, not green. Thus you'll get green egg laying partially laced EE's.

The BBS Ameraucanas won't give you laced birds on your first generation, but breeding back to the Wyandotte a second time will. (they'll be blue with black lacing, but you can always shoot for splash with black lacing with focused breeding.)

Another good choice are Silver Laced Polish. With them, you won't ruin the egg color, only make it slightly paler. You'll also get some small crests in the offspring and keep the beard if you do bearded Polish. [​IMG]

But again, your first generation birds will look more spangled than laced.

3. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    Thanks Illia! I was leaning toward them, but I wasn't sure how the genetics worked. Love your website by the way. We have been having amazing frosts in Iowa this winter too!

4. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    I've actually been thinking the same thing... I want to mix a splash BLRW roo with my cull BBS Ameraucanas and my EE's. Should be an interesting project! Not sure when I will be able to actually do it since this spring is looking a little full so far.

Good luck and keep us updated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by