what is better for brooder

Discussion in 'Quail' started by DRAGGINZUZU, Nov 1, 2010.

1. DRAGGINZUZU

DRAGGINZUZU Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2010
    Ive seen so many designs, Im making a brooder for my new quail. What is better for the floor? 1/4 " wire with a poop tray or solid floor with pine shavings? Its going in the house untill they can be moved to the growout cage. Theres so many ideas.. What do you guys think?

2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    [​IMG]

Until someone answers you .. use the search function at the top right .. see what you can find ..

Oh, and introduce yourself on the Introduction thread!

This is a great place to be!

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I sometimes use a small plastic tub, which isn't very high. It's okay for a week or so then they start to fly and they need a lid. This time I used a plastic tub with had a top with wire on top. Worked great and it kept in the heat really good! I'll post pics later -

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    I Use The 30 Gal Sterilite Totes- They're Cheap And Readily Available And Work Great As Well As Easy To Clean And Sterilize For The Next Batch.

I Have A Stack Of Empty Clean Totes And Misc Equipment Ready To Go As Well As Heat Light Assemblies. When I Need To Set A Brooder I Grab A Tote, A Lid That I Have Cut The Inside Out Of And Strung Wire Across, A Water Font, And A Feed Dish. Personally I Use Old Towels For Footing The 1st Wk So I Take A Clean Towel Off The Stack And Place It In The Bottom Of The Brooder. Insert Feed Dish With Food-- Sprinkle A Little Around The Brooder And Throw A Dime On Top Of The Food Still In The Dish, Insert Appropriate Sized Water Font, Throw The Lid On It And Set The Heat Lamp Directly Over The Wire Insert And Fire That Sucker Up--- Give It 10 Min Or So To Get Warm And Insert Fuzz Balls. When The Brooder Needs Cleaning I Set Up Another Brooder, Transfer The Babies Over And Can Now Take My Time And Clean The Dirty Brooder And Utensils At My Leasure.... Everything Gets Sprayed Off Vigorously Then Soaked In Bleach Water To Disinfect And Dried And Put Back In The Supply Line For Later Reuse. This Rotating System Works Great For Me. Once The Chicks Are Old Enough That Spraddle Leg Isnt A Concern I Use Old Newspaper For Bedding. Almost All The Brooder Supplies Are Reuseable And Get Recycled.

As For Footing With Hatchlings I Do Not Recommend Wire, Its Too Hard On Their Feet As Babies. Shavings Would Need To Be Covered For The 1st Week With A Non Slip Surface. The Non Slip Shelf/ Drawer Liner Material Works Well And Is Cleanable For Reuse, Or An Old Towel.

5. DRAGGINZUZU

DRAGGINZUZU Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2010
    Wow that sounds alot easier than what I just made. I just decided to go outside and build it. 3 trips to Lowes and about 40$ later I have a brooder . I decided to make it a wire floor . I used 1/4 x 1/4". I guess I should have waited to see the replies. I wanted it to be somewhat nice because were keeping them in the house till they move to there growout pen. Thats if any hatch (fingers crossed). Im down to 43 eggs from 50. Six were broke when I got them and I noticed another 1 broke this morning while turning. I'm using an old metal broward bator that my dad bought over 40yrs ago from the sears catalog and It does not have a auto turner in it. If anyone knows how to modify one to work let me know please. Anyways I think I'll put them on a towel for the 1st week or so then to the wire. But Ill keep some shelf liner in it to see if they would rather use that. I will go over and introduce myself , and I have been using the search feature for a couple weeks, but it just seems there so much info, And my wife gets mad at me because I overthink everything. Let me know If you guys wanna see the contraption I built today.
    Tony

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I use plastic storage tubs (with lids but I cut a hole and staple hardware cloth on top), Fish tank make great brooders too (with lids).

7. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    I use a 10 gallon fishtank with a light on one end. It works great and isn't too big. I never have very large hatches.

8. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:This has been working for me all year .

9. Valley quail breeder

Valley quail breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    I use the plastic totes as well. Also, I made a homemade one out of old screens from a window and use plywood on sides and heat lamps on top and screen on top to keep them from flying out when they get older, Make sure use proper heat depending on outside temperature. Works great and than you can transfer out to grow out pens when they feather out and easy to clean while there in there just lift it up to new clean newspaper or shavings, Grip-rite or towel, Etc, Etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Valley quail breeder

Valley quail breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    Oh and the white balls on the outside of the Brooder was for to keep my friends at bay....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by