What is Boss exactly.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by macdoogle, Sep 16, 2010.

1. macdoogle

macdoogle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    San Diego
    I have repeatedly come across feeding Boss to the chickens but have no idea of what it is. I have asked the feed stores in this area and they don't know either. So what is it, and where do I get it?

2. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Black.Oil.Sunflower.Seed.

3. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    Black oil sunflower seeds

4. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    yup, black oil sunflower seed and you could probably just get it at the store(s) near you and/or online

5. Lilacfeather

Lilacfeather Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2010
    Richmond, VA
    Ha! That's funny... I just saw that in Kroger tonight, and was wondering if it was ok to give them. Is it more of a treat food, or an everyday thing?

6. macdoogle

macdoogle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    San Diego
    Black Oil Sunflower Seed. Thank you for letting me know. I plan on giving it as a treat. I live in Southern CA. The feed store where I buy my supplies has a sign up stating there is a shortage of Black Sunflower Seeds. Are other sunflower seeds OK?

7. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I use mine as a treat only, it has much lower protein and much higher fat. I think it's not supposed to go over 10% of their total diet... And as far as I know it is much different than regular sunflowers as it has different fats/oil and amounts... I'm sure one of the experts will chime in shortly. [​IMG]

I'm in So Cal too and I've seen it at Walmart, the 99 ยข store and most of the local feed stores. The feed store by me has a 50# bag for 25 bucks. [​IMG] I haven't seen any signs of shortage... [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2010
  8. Sanebychicks

Sanebychicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2010
    Colorful Colorado!
    I'm not sure how many chickens you have so this may or may not work for you, but I mixed BOSS with some crackle and just give them a handful in the morning (I only have 4). They love the treat and I usually "call" them with it too so they have been pretty well trained to think when they hear me calling - they come expecting to get some "candy". This works well to motivate them to go in the run (they free range most of the day) when I'm in a hurry and want to safely put them in if I am leaving.

9. spoggy

spoggy d'Anver d'Nut

Aug 19, 2008
    Carlisle Township
    Quote:BOSS would not be considered a staple, like layer mix or other types of feeds. There are those who offer it in a seperate feeder, similar to Oyster Shell. I understand that there are those who believe it helps to prevent egg-binding, due to its high oil content.

10. arch_cpj

arch_cpj Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    medina county
    ya I think it is a treat more than anything I feed the wild birds it in the winter and the hens clean up after them... Might be an interesting winter suppliment I know I feed em suet in the winter free range to get the fat content in their diet up...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by