what is BOSS

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Lisa202, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    ...and where do you get it?

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Black Oil Sunflower Seeds

I get mine at Tractor Supply (TSC) and the grocery store. Some people get it at their co-op.
    [​IMG]

3. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Black Oil Sunflower Seeds...you can get it anywhere! I get a 40 lb (or is it 50?) bag of it at TSC for about $5. They say it is perfect for layers. The oil is supposed to prevent them from becoming eggbound.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I first bought it in the garden area of Lowe's, where the bird houses, bird feeders, and bags o' bird seed were located. 7 # bags.

Then I discovered my feed store carried it in 40# bags. Wahooo!

BOSS is higher in protein than scratch - I never use scratch. BOSS also helps promote feather growth.

AND my chickens and two ducks all love it!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  5. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    great...thanks! So let me ask you...do they eat the whole thing (shells and all) or do they make a mess and leave shell pieces all over like the wild birds do?

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

They scarf 'em down whole.

7. Chicken Delight

Chicken Delight Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    Utah
    I am kinda new to chickens and read this thread with interest. I grabbed a hand-full of BOSS and the ladies went crazy for it. An extra special treat. I will pick some more up at the farm store next time I am there.

8. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Mine love it better than any other treat. Even the babies learn to scramble for it when I start tossing it out. When I don't plan ahead and run out or the stuff, the stink eyes I get in the morning are pretty horrendous! [​IMG]

9. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    50 lb bag of BOSS for $5 is a great price. Runs about $11 or so here. But no TSC exists here either. It is amongst the best of the treats.

10. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I've seen the 40lb bags at TSC, but they are more like $15 than $5. Even scratch is more than $5........sigh........

I was given 5 x 50lbs bags of BOSS recently in trade for some ducks.........I have started mixing the Boss and scratch 50/50, adding a scoop of dog food and a scoop of sweet feed for every 20lbs or so. My own personal scratch. It is about 50% BOSS, so the girls are happy [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by