1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is BOSS?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jimz1, May 6, 2011.

1. jimz1

jimz1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    I saw this on a favorite treats thread. Someone said it was one of their favorite foods

2. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    black oil sunflower seeds [​IMG]

3. backyardmenagerie

backyardmenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Kansas
    Black Oil Sunflower Seeds

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

What they said.

Not only is it a favorite, but it has more protein content than "scratch" (which is mostly corn) and a nice, high, natural oil content which is very good for feather growth.

5. jimz1

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    Thanks. Is there a difference in sunflowers?

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Black oil sunflower seed is the smaller, black hulled type. Not the larger, grey ones with the white stripe.

The birds can eat the whole thing, shell and all, and they don't usually do that with the larger sunflower seed.

7. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    I give my broody hen (The Velociraptor) a couple tablespoons of BOSS every day. I just drop it in the nest box with her. I'm hoping that it will help keep her healthy during her time of limited food consumption. But mostly I give it to her as a peace offering, and she still pecks the heck out me. Leather gloves are a good thing.

8. jimz1

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    Where do you get them? Are they expensive? Everything is expensive these days. I mean compared to the other ones.

9. DrTom

DrTom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Your local feed store should have plenty of BOSS...Anywhere that sells bird seed will also carry BOSS because birds love it as well!

10. DrTom

DrTom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    As for cost...I've seen a 50-pound bag run around 20-30 bucks or so...but if you're just using it as a treat, it should last a while.

Last edited: May 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by