What is causing my meat spots

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stevematthews, Oct 16, 2014.

1. stevematthews

stevematthews New Egg

Oct 16, 2014
    I have a Rhode island Red Chicken. She is giving me on average 5 eggs per week. She is about 1 year old. Recently she started giving us meat eggs. Now every egg is a meat egg. We fish it out, but it is not only gross, but now that every egg is a meat egg, I am concerned that something is wrong. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Steve and chicks in Vegas

2. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    Meat spots don't necessarily mean an unhealthy hen. They are caused by a ruptured blood vessel or a piece of the oviduct dislodging. They are completely edible but you can remove them if you don't like them. Try giving your hen some veggies high in vitamin A for a snack. One of my hens was doing this and it helped.

3. stevematthews

stevematthews New Egg

Oct 16, 2014
    Thanks!

What kind of veggies can i give my chickens? More importantly, which ones can I not give them?

4. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    I mostly give my girls cabbage, watermelon, lettuce, and shredded carrots. They get those the most because I grow them. As far as what not to feed your chickens: green potatoes, avacado pits and skins, citrus, anything from the nightshade family. I have also heard not to let them have apple seeds but cored apples are fine. Also garlic and onion will make your eggs taste funny. There are a lot of mixed opinions about spinach so I avoid it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by