what is chick starter

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Nutcase, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    this is a bit of a stupid question but what is chick starter?

2. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

It's finely ground, high-protein feed with no calcium in it. Sometimes it contains antibiotics, too.

3. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    It's the first fed, usually medicated. Crumbles for easier eating. You can start them on that and then move to grower, than when they start laying, move on to the layer pellets or crumbles.

No stupid questions....But I see a lot of stupid answers sometimes. LOL At least you asked. [​IMG]

4. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

It could refer to two things:

1. There are gels or water additives that you can give newly hatched chicks to help boost their systems for the first several days. They're full of vitamins, probiotics and other good things.
    2. It is shorthand for Chick Starter Feed. It is meant to be used as a complete feed for chicks from hatch to 4 months old or so. Purina Start & Grow is one such feed (probably different labeling or availability down under)

Hope that helps [​IMG]

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Most chick starter does indeed have Calcium in it, the Calcium is within the needs of chicks.
    Most chick starter I have seen is from a Minimum Calcium amount of .70% and a Maximum Calcium amount of 1.25%

Chris

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Starter --
    A balanced feed meant as the sole ration for chicks from hatching to twelve weeks of age.
    At 12 weeks of age the birds can be changed to Grower or Developer. Starter can be Medicated or Non-Medicated when Medicated it is with either Amprolium, Lasalocid and or Bacitracin . Starter is available in Mash, Crumble or Pellet form.

* Note --
    Amprolium - which goes by the trade names Corid and Amprovine, Amprolium, Amprol, Anticoccid and is a thiamine analog, competitively inhibits the active transport of thiamine (B1). Amprolium is used in the prevention and treatment of coccidiosis.

Lasalocid - goes by the trade name Bovatec. Bovatec (lasalocid) is a coccidiocide that kills coccidia. It is an ionophore that moves potassium, sodium, calcium and magnesium into the cell causing the cell to burst. Bovatec works primarily on a single developmental stage of coccidia, providing a more narrow range of action than Deccox.

Bacitracin - Bacitracin can also go by the names Bacitracin Methylene Disalicylate and BMD. Bacitracin in Broiler And Replacement Chickens is an aid in prevention and control of necrotic enteritis caused by Clostridium perfringens susceptible to bacitracin methylene disalicylate.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  7. stevetone

Absolutely True! Calcium is used for bone development and muscle function, not just egg production. Chick Starter Feeds are formulated to be an excellent first food for chicks.

8. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not sure why I said NO calcium. Maybe because it was 3 in the morning and I was a zombie? LOL I make my own feed and of course I do put calcium in the chick feed, just not as much as what I put in my layer feed (and even my grower/broiler feed, actually) because it can be dangerous to the chicks in higher amounts.

9. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Did you see how short my answer was? Same thing, I was exhausted. Also been sick for almost a week, so that was a major amount of work on my part. LOL

10. stevetone

Sorry to jump on you sleepy people, but I am a morning person [​IMG]

lol, it's all good

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by