1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is Claire?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Charlene1234, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Charlene1234

Charlene1234 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2008
    We just got this pretty hen and we're not sure what she is? Is she some kind of Wyandotte?

Thanks for your help!

[​IMG]

Here's a couple more pics I just took of her... Her coloring in this photo is pretty accurate - lighter brown on her body and more golden around her neck.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The picture is a little blurry, but she appears to be a Silver Laced Wyandotte. I see yellowish color around her neck, but mine roll in this Georgia red dirt and get discolored that way, too.

3. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    I'm guessing gold-laced rosecomb (Wyandottes come in single-comb, too, you know) Wyandotte but I could be wrong. Others' opinions?

4. Charlene1234

May 11, 2008
    Yes, her comb is huge like a rose. Sorry the picture is so blurry. I took it off the one the lady I got her from sent to me.

5. Charlene1234

May 11, 2008
    Quote:Her neck is definitely golden and her body coloring is not white but tan colored with black edging on her feathers. Is this a Golden-Laced Wyandotte?

Oh, another question... what do you get when you cross a silver-laced wyandotte with a golden-laced wyandotte? (this isn't a joke!) ;-) Just a cross?? Maybe this is what she is?

Thanks for your help. 'Perchiate it!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  6. SpeckledHills

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Oh! With the new pics you posted above, now I can tell for sure what kind of chicken she is...
    A happily-pampered, gold-hearted, love-laced Why-Not have-a-chicken! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm guessing she may indeed be a cross between one gold-laced and one silver-laced parent. Then she'd be a Wyandotte of an unrecognized color variety.
    p.s. She's lovely!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  7. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    She looks like a poorly colored glw.

8. knippk

knippk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Grayson KY
    Quote:I agree......GLW.....probably from a hatchery....still a pretty girl!!!!

9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Actually this is what happens when you breed Golden Laced & Silver Laced together. BTW Wyandottes definately do not come in single combed as well as rose combed. If a Wyandotte mating throws an occasional single comb it's because of recessive genes and the resultant bird is a cull not a Wyandotte. Check the ASOP-the breed description for Wyandottes is specific.

10. SpeckledHills

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Quote:Whoops--You are so right and I was so wrong! I see in the ASOP we have (which is the 1998 black-and-white edition) that the illustrations of Rhode Island Reds on page prior to Wyandottes show that RIRs have both. Way back when I was trying to identify the roo someone gave us (He's a hatchery Wyandotte, turned out) & was looking at pics in that section I must have gotten confused. Truly, I appreciate the correction as it will help me in future. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by