What Is Coccidiosis? How Do You Get It?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mourningdove, May 18, 2009.

1. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    Hi all, I would like to be educated on this topic please! [​IMG]
    I have never heard of it before BYC, none of my birds are sick but I
    want to know all about this, signs, symptoms ect...Also how to prevent it. [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

3. Mourningdove

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    Thank you speckledhen for this link! [​IMG] I sure do appriciate it!

4. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Speckledhen is awesome with info! I have gotten wiser with her help. I keep Corid on hand and at the first sign I use the 5 day treatment. I have only lost one chick to cocci since using Corid.

5. ems_chick

ems_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Morganton, GA
    that is a great link! i went to my local feed store to grab some corid to have on hand for a just in case kinda thing... the woman was horribly rude and told me i could only go to a vet to get it [​IMG] on my way out she offered antibiotics, i just walked out with a no thanks... dont believe i will be going back there again [​IMG]

6. Mourningdove

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    Quote:Like I said so far I haven't had this problem but I did want to know everything I could learn so I would be prepared [​IMG]

7. Mourningdove

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    Now as far as the rainy and wet mess we have had here I was wondering if I shouldn't go ahead and use the lime even tho noone
    is sick? As a preventive measure? Also hubby is concerned as to is the lime safe around chickens? Or do we need to move them? Thanks!

8. chicky gal1

chicky gal1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    PA
    bump! good question, i'd love to hear the answer too! [​IMG]

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hydrated lime will burn their feet and you'd need it to be rained on, or till it under or water it into the ground well before you should turn them loose on an area treated with it. Garden lime (pulverized limestone) isn't as effective, but it is milder on their feet. Never hurts to till some lime under to keep down smells.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by