1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is considered a light breed?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LoneCowboy, Nov 11, 2007.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    What is the weight of a light breed? I see heavy breeds and bantams, but what is considered a light breed? I can't find where anybody has defined that.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Of standards, there are heavies and lights. Generally, birds like leghorns or minoricas of the mederterian breeds would be considered light while heavier things like Cochins and rocks are considered heavy.

3. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    I always assumed that the white egg layers of the standard breeds were lights, and the brown egg layers were heavies. Is that true???

4. silkiechicken

Well, there might be some truth to that, as the lighter breeds generally lay lighter colored eggs, but I don't think that's the definition. I think heavy vs light is over breeds and their standard weights.

5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I noticed in the Murry McMurray catalog, that none of the heavy breeds are under 6.5 lbs. Do you think that anything under 6.5 would be considered light?

6. silkiechicken

I'd actually lower the bar to 5.5 for girls and keep the 6.5 for the boys. I think that with the productoin strains of most though, these weights are often hard to follow for what was historically "heavy and light" breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by