1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is considered an acceptable range of temps in a water wiggler

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tberggren, Apr 29, 2008.

1. tberggren

tberggren Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2008
    Ithaca NY
    Ugh!! I'm so glad hubby is willing to put together a fridge banter but in the meantime I am dealing with this forced air LG and just found out that the temps drop at night! I have the plastic covered up to prevent heat loss but that doesn't seem to matter.

So back to my question, anyone??

Theresa

2. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    I have the little giant w/turbo fan installed, too. And this is the first time I've used a water wiggler. The temp is supposed to simulate the temp inside an egg, so I've kept mine between 99 and 100. Of course, we ARE talking lg, very hard to get just right, so my temps vary a little up or down at times. I do like the water wiggler, because it shows you that the temp inside the egg doesn't vary as much as outside the egg. So I'm not nearly as quick to try and adjust the temp. That is the biggest mistake you can make with the little giant. It has a hair trigger temp control. I've learned to make the most minute adjustment, then wait an hour or three and check again. Of course, if the temp goes bezerk and goes past 102, lift the lid to cool it down. As to the temp dropping at night, I try to keep the room at about 70 all the time. Then I don't have to keep fiddling with that. I don't understand what you mean by "have the plastic covered up." What plastic?

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If your temp is dropping at night something is going on in your room temps. Are you using a surge protector and have tried putting a blanket over the LG at night?

4. tberggren

Jan 20, 2008
    Ithaca NY
    Yes Miss Prissy to both questions. And I put it in the basement because the house warms up so during the day and my temps were going high during the day.

Any other idea's?

5. tberggren

Jan 20, 2008
    Ithaca NY
    Quote:Oh, sorry about that, I was referring to the window in the top.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by