what is DE?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by beatrixkiddo, Dec 17, 2010.

1. beatrixkiddo

beatrixkiddo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2010
    I have absolutely no clue what it is. can someone fill me in?

2. mclawswill

mclawswill New Egg

Nov 21, 2010
    diatomatious earth.

3. cackleberrycoop

cackleberrycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Montana
    From Wikipedia:

"Diatomaceous earth (pronounced /ˌdaɪ.ətəˌmeɪʃəs ˈɜrθ/) also known as diatomite or kieselgur, is a naturally occurring, soft, siliceous sedimentary rock that is easily crumbled into a fine white to off-white powder. It has a particle size ranging from less than 1 micron to more than 1 millimeter, but typically 10 to 200 microns.[1] This powder has an abrasive feel, similar to pumice powder, and is very light, due to its high porosity. The typical chemical composition of oven dried diatomaceous earth is 80 to 90% silica, with 2 to 4% alumina (attributed mostly to clay minerals) and 0.5 to 2% iron oxide.[1]

Diatomaceous earth consists of fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae. It is used as a filtration aid, as a mild abrasive, as a mechanical insecticide, as an absorbent for liquids, as cat litter, as an activator in blood clotting studies, and as a component of dynamite. As it is also heat-resistant, it can be used as a thermal insulator".

It's pretty cool stuff.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  4. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

why do people refuse to google, instead of clogging BYC with stuff like this?

5. kenh2010

kenh2010 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    Idaho
    There are different grades of de. Be sure to use one that is labeled as food grade. It's my understanding the other grades used for pool filters etc. can be toxic.

Ken

6. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Or even search here for existing threads on the same topic. There must be a hundred DE threads........................

7. funnybirds

funnybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    Quote:Can’t speak for everyone but I can say, we use a LOT of initials on the message forums and for a noob (like me) if you don’t know DE is Diatomaceous earth, how are you going to Google it?
    And if you did, how would you know it was the same one they/we were talking about?
    For example:
    "DE " on Google gets you a Delaware Government site, The John Deer Stock exchange symbol on Yahoo finance, a site in Germany for international broadcasting "Deutsche Welle" , You tube "100 greatest hits in four minutes", the Wikipedia article on "De Facto, and the Dwight-Englewood independent coeducational day school.

Sometimes it just makes more sense to ask.

Hey! Lets look up RIR, GLW and BR on Google next!

1 person likes this.
  8. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Can’t speak for everyone but I can say, we use a LOT of initials on the message forums and for a noob (like me) if you don’t know DE is Diatomaceous earth, how are you going to Google it?
    And if you did, how would you know it was the same one they/we were talking about?
    For example:
    "DE " on Google gets you a Delaware Government site, The John Deer Stock exchange symbol on Yahoo finance, a site in Germany for international broadcasting "Deutsche Welle" , You tube "100 greatest hits in four minutes", the Wikipedia article on "De Facto, and the Dwight-Englewood independent coeducational day school.

Sometimes it just makes more sense to ask.

Hey! Lets look up RIR, GLW and BR on Google next!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You don't even have to search. Just go to index and then FAQ and then scroll down for links to threads about DE.

10. Savannah Poultry

Savannah Poultry The Source

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    It isn't CLOGGING up anything. If someone has a question lets answer it and not persecute them for what they asked. When I ask a question I do it because I want a quick answer. Thats kind of the point so you don't have to go research it forever.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by