What is doing this!?- Know what is doing this see pg. 3 update on coop

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Cats Critters, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Something has been killing my hens, my first thought raccoon. I had killed one this summer for that reason.

But what ever this is, it is strong and smart. This thing triggered my trap and appears to have eaten the peanut butter from the outside. Also it has been ripping/clawing holes in my coop, it must be able to climb/jump because some of the damage is from the top of my run, which I'm trying to keep blocked off but it keeps ripping new holes. But it also has started ripping holes in the bottom of the walls, which I have been blocking off, using cement blocks and bricks. Which it can some how move!!!

What the heck is doing this? The first thing that comes to mind is a raccoon, but I'm starting to wonder if it is something else. Any thoughts?
    I'll post pictures of the damage tomorrow.

ETA: Determined it is a raccoon, see pg. 3 for pictures of the fixed up coop.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    a dog maybe? [​IMG]

3. Cats Critters

Quote:I think the holes (at least some of them) are too small and the only dogs around are beagle and are neighbors beagle who can't get to them and our other neighbors 3 dashounds (sp) who I think would go after their owners peacock and chickens first. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  4. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    mmm okay small holes...(thinking)... gosh i dont know. do you have a night cam.? sure would be interesting to know.?
    so i went online, to search about. maybe a fox?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  5. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Quote:Raccoons will have no problem climbing onto a run, or ripping open large mesh items such as chicken wire.

If they can get a purchase on something they can also rip open nailed seams.

They are very good at breaking into things by ripping up roofing or pulling vent grills out if they are not properly fastened.

In short they are quite powerful.

It is also possible you have a young bear at work.

6. Cats Critters

Quote:No I don't have a night camera, and a fox might be an idea, but how well do they climb?

7. Cats Critters

Quote:I hadn't realized how strong the stupid buggers are so they might be doing it and I really hope it is not a bear.

8. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    omg. i hope its not a bear. you will need a very large trap. [​IMG]

9. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Sounds like a coon. They are very strong and can be determined. I caught one a while ago in a Advantek trap and he made a mess of it. While he didn't ruin the trap he managed to get the metal carrying handle and plate under it off by straighten out the wires. I've seen where they completely tore of hardware cloth to get into a chicken coop.

10. Cats Critters

Here are pictures of the damage:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and the back walls damage:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by