What is doing this!?- Know what is doing this see pg. 3 update on coop

Cats Critters

Completely Indecisive
13 Years
Oct 15, 2007
Clarion County, PA
My Coop
My Coop
Something has been killing my hens, my first thought raccoon. I had killed one this summer for that reason.

But what ever this is, it is strong and smart. This thing triggered my trap and appears to have eaten the peanut butter from the outside. Also it has been ripping/clawing holes in my coop, it must be able to climb/jump because some of the damage is from the top of my run, which I'm trying to keep blocked off but it keeps ripping new holes. But it also has started ripping holes in the bottom of the walls, which I have been blocking off, using cement blocks and bricks. Which it can some how move!!!

What the heck is doing this? The first thing that comes to mind is a raccoon, but I'm starting to wonder if it is something else. Any thoughts?
I'll post pictures of the damage tomorrow.

ETA: Determined it is a raccoon, see pg. 3 for pictures of the fixed up coop.

Last edited:
a dog maybe?
hmm.png

Quote:
I think the holes (at least some of them) are too small and the only dogs around are beagle and are neighbors beagle who can't get to them and our other neighbors 3 dashounds (sp) who I think would go after their owners peacock and chickens first.
hmm.png

Last edited:
mmm okay small holes...(thinking)... gosh i dont know. do you have a night cam.? sure would be interesting to know.?
so i went online, to search about. maybe a fox?

Last edited:
Quote:
Raccoons will have no problem climbing onto a run, or ripping open large mesh items such as chicken wire.

If they can get a purchase on something they can also rip open nailed seams.

They are very good at breaking into things by ripping up roofing or pulling vent grills out if they are not properly fastened.

In short they are quite powerful.

It is also possible you have a young bear at work.

Sounds like a coon. They are very strong and can be determined. I caught one a while ago in a Advantek trap and he made a mess of it. While he didn't ruin the trap he managed to get the metal carrying handle and plate under it off by straighten out the wires. I've seen where they completely tore of hardware cloth to get into a chicken coop.

Back
Top Bottom