WHAT IS DRY INCUBATING ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lilcougar4, Mar 11, 2015.

1. lilcougar4

lilcougar4 Chillin' With My Peeps

I hear some talking about how they dry incubating and wasn't sure what they were talking about and what that meant and how it works ?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I do a dry incubation when I can. As long as my bator will hold above 25% w/o any water in it, I do not add water the first 17 day as long as the air cells are growing at the right rate. With dry incubation you should monitor your egg's air cells (or weigh the eggs) to make sure they are loosing the proper amount of moisture, but not excessively so.

I'm starting a hatch this weekend and will not be able to run totally dry as our humidity is dry in teh house due to teh pellet stove, so I will be adding enough water to hold it around 30% (which technically is still considered "dry").

At lockdown you do the same as you do for a standard incubation, highering your humidity.

4. lilcougar4

Thank You , I just got a new Incubator and doing a test run for a couple of days, it's been reading 20 % Humidity without adding water since yesterday. I live in California and humidity is always low What do you think ,should I put a little water in and check humidity levels then adjust or just try dry till lock down ?

5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Personally, I'd put a little in it and get it up above 25%. Whatever you decide, just remember to check the air cells for growth at least days 7/14 and at lockdown. That way you can alter the humidity to stay on track with your air cells.

6. lilcougar4

Thank You, I will try that.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by