1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is easier, slipping in fertal eggs or borrowing a roo?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kiya4jah, Jun 27, 2008.

1. kiya4jah

kiya4jah Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    For a broody hen, and if I want a few more chickens, is it easier to find ferile eggs and give her a few or should I borrow a roo and have nature do it's thing? I wouldn't mind slipping in a guinea or two as well. What are your thoughts and experiences?[​IMG]

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Slip in the eggs.

If you bring in a roo, it will take some time for him to integrate into the flock and being fertilizing the hens. Then you have no way to know if and when your hens will go broody again.

I'd just get eggs and slip them under the broody.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I would just do the fertile eggs too and slip them under her....

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Agreed. Never bring in a strange bird without quarantine. You could be exposing your flock to disease without knowing it.

5. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Yep, I agree with just adding fertile eggs. I haven't added a new Roo, I have had the same one for over a year and I raised him from a baby with his girls. We introduced a new male Blue Swedish Duck to my females and it has taken almost a month to get fertile eggs. It actually took over two weeks for them to let him be a part of the group.

6. Yogiman

Yogiman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    South Louisiana
    I just yesterday completed hatching the last two of five broody hens. I did not have a roo with them so I brought in fertile eggs and set them. It works fine and is a lot less hassle than having a roo. Plus you can pick and choose the breeds that you want to hatch if the eggs are available to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by